PDA

View Full Version : swallowing

peanbug
06-05-10, 15:31
Hi all,
I'm new here and I need some guidance on an issue I have been having lately. My husband lost his job last week and I do not deal with stress and anxiety well. My biggest issue is that I swallow excessively. The problem with this is by the end of the day I have swallowed so much air that I can not function because of the pain. The only thing that seems to stop me from swallowing is when I have something else on my mind but in a short amount of time I begin thinking about it again and I can't stop myself from swallowing more. You may be able to tell that I obsess over this as well. It takes up almost every waking moment and even awakens me in the middle of the night. I have gotten nothing accomplished since last week because it stops my everyday functioning. I feel like this is kind of crazy but I don't know what to do. I have tried praying, deep breathing exercises, meditation and visualization, as well as being seen by a doctor who prescribed omeprazole (this did nothing as I don't have acid indigestion!), then I went to a gastrointerologist, who did an endoscopy, colonoscopy, barium swallow...only to label me with IBS and send me away. I don't know what to do I'm at a loss! I just need to stop swallowing :weep:

Roadtorecovery
06-05-10, 17:48
I don't know if it would help, when I had ibs, I found 2 ibuprofen a day with food would help with symptoms as they can bring down swelling etc. Wether this is right for u I can't say, maybe ask ur doctor. U have to be carefull as pain killers are addictive and can cause problms with tummy etc sometimes.