PDA

View Full Version : So much better until today, but still here!

MatthewH
06-05-10, 16:04
I thought i was almost over my anxiety. I could finally go out for meals without being ill in front of my fiancee, i could go shopping and enjoy nights out in the pub, i could even beat down the feelings of anxiety and get on with my day. Until today, when collecting money for charity.

I woke up this morning, and my first thoughts were 'Oh god, im going to be in the town today.' Why? I have no idea. I've done it before, and i know i had no problems then. So why this time?? I put the knot of sickness in my stomach down to not eating, and went and had some breakfast. I didnt eat much, due to the fact that last time i felt like this and ate, i ended up in a toilet throwing my breakfast back up. Just 2 weetabix. Anyway, i continue on to the town. The sickness in my stomach is still there, but i just think to myself that it'll go away, like it normally does. I'll be fine. Ive come so far!

Walking into the town, i still feel nausea and ill at ease. I manage to sit down and have a coffee with my colleagues, but this feeling is still there.

'What if you are sick, can you make it to a toilet? Will you be sick on the street, infront of all these people?? What will you look like?'

I made my excues, and strode VERY quickly, trying to look composed and dignified, towards the nearest McDonalds. Once in the toilet, my heart was racing, i was sweating, i felt horrendous. I managed to keep my breakfast, but my stomach was having none of it. I actually thought about just staying in that tiny room, because i didnt want to face people.

'You're going to make a fool of yourself'
'You're work mates are going to find out about you and you're problems'
'You wont make it through today'
'Its only 9:30am, you're here till 3pm'

Shut up shut up shut up i told myself. Get a grip, you wont die, if you're sick you're sick, get over it. You can't sit in this stinking Maccy's toilet all day long. Get on with you're life.

I checked my heart beat quickly. About 90-100 a minute. I'd managed t get myself out of this mild state of panic, but how will i cope throughout the day?

Well, i managed to get through it, but by god it was a hard day for me. I havent had an anxiety attack that bad for a while. Its knocked my confidence, and i have to go back tomorrow. But by explaining to my colleagues i had a bit of sickness, wasnt feeling too good, and that i would not eat, i convinced my mind that i wouldnt be sick, the feelings were hunger pains, and in half an hour im going to treat myself to a nice big tea. I cant say its been an easy day, and looking back on it, it seems like a bad dream. It shattered my confidence, but i think i know where my problems lie now. I've realised that if im in a place, where there is no way out (as in i don't have my own car with me), or i can't get easy access to a toilet, i get these sickness feelings. These hang around with me until i know im ok, like now, in my room, typing these feelings out. Now all i feel in my stomach is hunger.

I dunno, some days are just like this i guess... Anybody give me some advice to get through tomorrow? I want to get my newly built confidence back!

gypsywomen
06-05-10, 16:08
maybe you have sickness bug it could be

MatthewH
06-05-10, 16:15
Definetly not a bug. Unfortunatly, this is not the first time that i have had mass nausea from being out. Normally i get these feelings when im with the fiancee, and we go out and eat, or go shopping in the town. Recently, i have managed to get better, and we have started to enjoy ourselves more. My original anxiety was brought on by a panic attack i had when with my fiancee a few years ago. I had to hve an ambulance come out, as i thought i was dieing! Seems kinda funny in a way now that i look back on it...
Its just a nausea that i get which when i do get, i obsess over, trying to ensure i can get to a toilet if i need to be sick. And if i keep going on and obsessing, sometimes i do end up vomitting. Very bad situation when eating in a restaurant, and havign to leave after just three forks full of food. Then the anxiety of having t explain that the food is fine, but im not takes over...

Ehh, i dont know what i moan about. Some people have much worse problems than me, and here i am moaning about a little sickness. I think i just needed somebody to listen!

gypsywomen
06-05-10, 16:17
dont we all ,sometimes thats all we need,,,hope your better soon :)

allergyphobia
06-05-10, 17:28
i have that in restaurants, i worry so much about the food i feel sick, and i push around my food and can't eat it... it is so embarrassing especially when i am just getting to know someone or on a date etc... just take today as a bad day matthew and dont let is ruin all the wonderful progress you have made. try not to think that this panic will come again tomorrow - it won't, you will find your confidence again instead!

:) xx

marie1974
06-05-10, 18:00
u have done v well, today is just a blip hun, keep going and u will get more and more confident hun. xx

Downsinthenorth
06-05-10, 18:09
Do you think it would help you to plan an event down to the smallest detail? For instance, making sure that there are (decent) toilets close by you in case you need one, choosing food that is easy on the stomach, and setting a time limit on how long you will expose yourself to this situation (before you go out).

You must feel pleased with yourself for managing to cope, anyway, with a bad anxiety attack. It is more to our credit to be able to stand our ground when it is happening, than not to have one in the first place (if that makes sense).

margaret jones
06-05-10, 18:48
I loved reading your post well done for sticking it out you must be proud of yourself and maybe tomorrow will be a better day but if not look yoiu got through it well done

Take Care Maggie :)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MatthewH
06-05-10, 21:33
Thank you all for your kind words :D
Downsinthenorth, i find that if i plan these things, the more i obsess with them and worry! I've had good times going out when its been a spur of the moment thing, such as if my fincee and i plan the cinema, but then just deciding to go for a meal as we drive past somewhere, so long as i can spot an 'escape' route, such as a toilet, i manage much better. One recently was we went for a meal, and i was fine. A couple of days later, we planned to go to the cinema again, and then for a meal. The cinema was fine, and i was fine until i sat down and ordered in the resaurant. As soon as i ordered, the feelings of panic came.

'What if i am sick'
'Wheres the toilets, i need to know where they are. I cant see them! OMG MY LIFE IS OVER. Im going to not make it, im going to be sick, and people are going to look at me and think im a moron'
'The waiter is going to ask if its all ok, and im going to be sick, and hes going to ask why. WHAT DO I SAY??'
'If i have to leave, will they think its their cooking?'

And those are just a couple of the thoughts that might go though my head every time i sit down in a public restaurant.
I took the first bite of my meal, took a second. Had to stop. Told the fiancee how i felt. She is VERY understanding, and asked me if we wanted to leave. I would of said yes, but something inside me said not to. My fiancee was smiling, and pointed over my shoulder. Behind me was a youngish family, with two small children. One of them was looking over at us. I had to laugh, there was me feeling terrible, sweating, trembling, and this little toddler looking at me like i was his favourite toy! And you know what? That little lad saved my night out. He distracted me from my feelings, and as i lifted another fork full of food to my mouth, i felt so much better. I finished my meal, and even left the waiter a massive tip for the service.

I've come to the conclusion that today was due to the fact i wasnt in my own car, and knew i couldnt get away from it if i struggled. But tomorrow i might be going out to do some more charity work, and you know what, i think i might even volunteer to go into the town. If i'm sick, im sick, ill get over it!

I'll update tomorrow with how it goes!