PDA

View Full Version : cutting down the diazepam

jaded jean
07-05-10, 07:09
Hi all.
Hope this is the right group to post this.
As my usual gp is away, I spoke to another re my diazepam as getting low -repeat script etc etc. was asked how lon I was on them-just under a month-I was taking 1x2mg in morning and 2x2mg in evening. so was told that Istart cutting them down now as addictive =fully aware of that and then do the same with evening dose. I have stopped the morning one. only a day later I halfed the night dose and I feel bloody awful for want of a better description. I know its got to be done but have I started the reduction too quickly?? I was only allowed 1 strip of diaz - I feel like a junkie saying this .:shrug:
All answers welcome please xx
Jean

Redrainbow
07-05-10, 10:03
Hello,
I'm on diazepam too, 5mg,,,yeah i have been on it for about 6 weeks??? but just take it when i need to really. Yeah cutting back can be difficult i know!!!
But by no means should you feel like a junkie!!! Your meds were prescribed to you,,,as you have a health condition,,,that's not your fault at all.
You know if you feel really bad there are other meds the Dr can put you on, you know!! Yeah so there is hope out there i promise.
I'm sorry you feel bad at the minute,,i promise it will pass...
Regards redrainbow,

jaded jean
07-05-10, 10:27
thanks redrainbow.
I feel so shakey- is this the norm.? its just that when this other gp told me to start cutting them down straight away I felt as if I was dependant and at that stage I could not see or reason anything outside the comfort zone:DHeres to hope I might feel different again tomorrow,
Jean

Redrainbow
07-05-10, 10:32
Yeah jean,,it is normal to feel shakey when cutting back,,,but don't worry cause i know from my own expierances there are other things the GP can put you on if need be. Yeah,,i think it's a case of see how you feel tomorrow,,,if you don't feel better soon go back to him Jean,,,cause youe welfare is his concern,,,and he will help you if you need more help,,,,,Your doing the best thing now too,,,cause talking about these things really can help too,,,,
Regards Redrainbow,

Baggs
07-05-10, 10:39
In my opinion, diazepam should only be taken as needed, rather than on a regular basis even when you don't feel shaky. I have been hooked on it before and know how hard it is to come off. I wish you all the best. Baggs.

jaded jean
07-05-10, 11:16
Hello Baggs
I was only given it to help with the initial side effects of Cit. and to help me sleep as my anxiety levels were through the roof sometimes.And considering it was only 1mg in the morning which is now stopped and having now cut down to 2mg from 4mg at night I think I m on the right path, I was just looking for reassurance.
JEAN

jaded jean
07-05-10, 11:20
Yeah jean,,it is normal to feel shakey when cutting back,,,but don't worry cause i know from my own expierances there are other things the GP can put you on if need be. Yeah,,i think it's a case of see how you feel tomorrow,,,if you don't feel better soon go back to him Jean,,,cause youe welfare is his concern,,,and he will help you if you need more help,,,,,Your doing the best thing now too,,,cause talking about these things really can help too,,,,
Regards Redrainbow,

Hi again redrainbow ,
I think ts gonna be a case of bite the bullet - get myself off them and if the anxiety is still there will get the cit dose upped to 30mg if suggested.
Thanks for your welcomed support:winks:
Jean

Baggs
07-05-10, 12:13
Indeed you are on the right path - when I was hooked, I was taking much higher doses. All the best. Baggs.

susysparkle
07-05-10, 12:38
hi there.. i was taking diazepam for quite a while.. i was only taking half a 5mg.. used to cut them in half.. i came of them gradually. took a quater for a week then took a quater every other day for a week.. it was hard, cos i began to get panicky again, and got headaches..I am also on citrolapram 10mg... havent taken any diazepam for 2 weeks now, altho i still have some left, and keep them with me at all times, just in case i have a bad panic attack.. Have also been taking rescue remedy when i feel anxious.. think it helps it a bit.... hang on in ther hun.. i promise it will ease.. I was told that maybe upping the dose of cit may help, but was relucyant to do so, as i found them to increase the panic at first.. what strength of cit are you on..... i realu hope to feel better soon... luv sue x

jaded jean
07-05-10, 13:02
Hi susysparkle
I am on 20mg cit at the moment. I have a feeling tho that it might and I I say might have to up the dose as of my anxiety levels, when I was on Mirtazapine it broke thru that and the changeover to cit were flippin horrid hence the diaz. But on reflection I am on day 30 of cit and there is a noticeable difference in me. I am scared of relapse or it not being the right meds and I have to change again please god no:mad: but feel I am in a good place at the mo.
Jean