PDA

View Full Version : How does your GAD affect your relationship?

frightenedbutterfly
07-05-10, 14:10
I was just wondering, for those that are in a relationship, how your anxiety affects things? Does it cause arguments? How does your partner deal with your 'irrational' worries? Especially if they don't quite get what GAD/panic is.

For example, you haven't heard from them all day so your mind immediately springs a massive accident or something else totally awful like an affair into the front of your mind...

How do you keep that stuff quiet? Is it possible? I'm so scared about this wrecking what is otherwise a perfectly normal relationship.

ectopicsufferer
08-05-10, 21:18
hi butterfly, i have found that since i started to suffer with GAD 14 months ago my partner was very supportive and still is in a lot of ways but i feel that because he doesnt completely understand sometimes i come across as a hypochondriac to him so i tend to keep alot of how im feeling to myself now unless its been days and days or a really bad day then i end up crying and blurting out what im going thru and how im feeling.
i dont think GAD does anyones relationship any favours and i often worry that in time to come if i dont get some control back so i am more like my old self it will destroy the relationship i have.
We have been together for nearly 4 years and since this started up well it hasnt been as good as it always has, but he is there for me most of the time, its just i know im doing his head in cos his attitude is its all in your head u have to control it which is probably right but unless he is sitting there with his heart skippin to its own beat and not a normal one i just dont understand how anyone can be calm when feeling that.
anyways i waffled on too much there xxxxx

anthrokid
09-05-10, 04:56
Heya butterfly,

My boyfriend was terrible to start off with, he's an athlete and just very set in his thoughts and has never really experienced any anxiety or depression or you know emotional things like that. His assumption was that unless you're physically very sick you're okay and can't feel that bad.

It really started to upset me that he didn't 'get it' and that he thought I was just 'being silly'. So I sat down with him for a good hour or so and described every one of my feelings in terms he would understand, like hangover feelings, aches you get after playing footy, etc. Then he was like 'oooh' and he did lots of reading about anxiety and panic attacks and chronic fatigue syndrome (I have that too, lol) and he's been great ever since. I tell him when I start to worry about something and he tells me if it's completely irrational or something. He's so good now that he can tell when I'm worrying before I notice!

I think good communication is the best thing for it. You won't wreck the relationship by talking about your feelings and how they affect you.

guitarpants
09-05-10, 06:12
My relationship is just about over due to it. Hanging by a thread but I doubt it'll be long before it's over. Which is a shame since it was a good relationship for years prior to this.