PDA

View Full Version : Scared about blood results...help

stacy1912
07-05-10, 16:33
Hi everyone

I thought I was getting better and here I am worrying myself silly again!

I have been taking mirtazapine for five months now and did think they were working!

However, I have been seeing the doctor about my aching joints (I am fat) and she ran some blood tests. All ok and normal but my ESR levels are always slightly raised. The last result was slightly decreased she said at 29. The normal range is below 20 for my age of 35.

I googled it and it lists cancer and all sorts of horrible illnesses and now BANG i am back stressing and crying about it. The doctor said CRP was normal so not retesting me. I am convinced my days are numbered and worry about my two children ( I am a single mum).

I know I need to lose weight and I try but food is like a crutch for me and I rely on it to calm me down.

Has anyone any views on ESR levels and whether I should insist it gets looked in to. Or should I trust that the doctor knows what she is doing?

Help please

Thanks
Stacy:weep:

IJJ
07-05-10, 16:57
I had a similiar thing happen to me but the 'other way round'. My CRP level was raised but my ESR was normal. Like you I google and completely freaked that it meant I had cancer. However I spoke to my doc, who is lovely and he assured me that both ESR and CRP would have to be greatly raised along with other symptoms before there was an indication of cancer. He even wrote it down on a piece of paper that I did not have cancer in any part of my body - and no doc would do that unless they were absolutely sure! I would say you are completely fine!

stacy1912
11-05-10, 18:02
thank you for your reply. I have decided to move on from this and trust that the doctor would definately do more tests if she was worried. Blood tests are the easiest thing in the world for them to assess, far easier than patients saying my stomach aches! So I am not going back to ask a million questions and trust the fact she is not concerned. This HA is an awful roller coaster that I now want to get off and never ride it again. Got to seriously work on positive thinking and not all doom and gloom. Thanks again.