PDA

View Full Version : Reducing the dose of diazepam

jaded jean
07-05-10, 19:10
As my usual gp is on holiday I rang surgery to get a repeat script, I was originally taking 1x2mg in the morning and 2x2mg at night. the doctor I spoke to said you do know these are addictive and she would only let me have 1 strip of 14 . this started last saturday 30th april- with that now I have stopped the morning dose and have just started last night with 1 x2mg. yes I did feel like crap this morning -I was shakey a bit panicky, I have 8 tablets left so after 3 more I will cut them down to 1mg. I see my gp on thursday and am hoping I will be able to say right I have stopped them, will I need my Cit , dosage changed to make up for the diazepam ??
Jean:shrug:
nb. I have been taking these on and off for 2months,

suzy-sue
07-05-10, 19:29
Its more than likely I would say Jean .But you will have to wait and see .20MG Is a low dose and up to 40mg is the norm for extreme Anxiety .I found 30 mg a pretty good level ,but after 8 weeks I went back a couple of steps and upped to 40mg .I found that a bit to high ,so reduced to 35mg by cutting 1 in half . I hope you dont feel too bad when the diaz is eventually stopped .It seems a rather quick way to do it .But there again it can be better to get it all over and done with .See how you feel .and if you feel too bad ask for a few more to come off over a longer period of time ...Hopefully you will be ok hun ..All the best Sue xx:hugs:xx

jaded jean
07-05-10, 19:41
Hi suzy sue .
It feels like you're damned if you do and damned if you dont. its the inner strength that we find now and again . I am not the worlds greatest tablet taker as I could not control what it was doing to my body inside weird eh? but as its my third try of A/D's I did not read the instruction leaflet in the cit, box and Yes I suffered to say the least I went back to the docs after 4 days crying saying I cannot deal with it and he said Jean I am afraid you are going to have to work this one through , and I did , bloody hard work at first. but with the diaz I know that they have to be stopped . even if I feel like poo and get the shakes I know it will pass as it is necessary to stop.
Happy days :wacko: Jean

Jannie2948
07-05-10, 19:50
I went to Dr's on Tuesday to get a repeat prescription and had to see a different Dr to my usual really good one. He straight away put my back up. He was really rude. Then he said I shouldn't be taking diazepam and why am I on 40mg of citalopram!! I felt awful by the time I came out, can't wait to see my regular Dr who is so understanding.

I only ever took 2mg of diazepam when I felt really anxious. I was increased from 2mg to 40mg 8 weeks ago and have felt good. Was a bit interested in what suzy-sue said about going from 40mg to 30mg or 35mg, I have been thinking of doing that because I have felt a bit more tired with the increased dosage, but not sure whether to do it without Dr's ok. I definitely feel better than when I was on 20mgand my Dr says 40mg is the correct dosage for anxiety. I have had no experience of any withdrawal from the diazepam and I was given a pack of 28 and Dr said I could take up to 3 per day but only ever took 1 per day, usually in the morning. I will ask my usual Dr for some though, because I do need them occasionally and he totally gets that I am not addicted to them. Hope you get this sorted when you see your Dr. All the best :)

Jannie x x

jaded jean
07-05-10, 20:03
Its apparent that we have some gp's that really go by he book and others that really look at the patient. pisses me off big time. I am the same as you Jannie My usual Gp actually said 2mg is the lowest yo can go. 60 yes 60 mg are what some people are on. what are we worried about .this agitated anxious state of ours is increased by mimms thumpers . I wouldnt be surprised if my cit is upped but I will request that we try 30mg initially and my gp will go along with that . he is a very young doctor but he knows people if that makes sense??
Jean

jaded jean
08-05-10, 06:48
Hi SuzySue and Jannie.
Even though my diaz dose was low I feel bad already. I have not given into temptation yet . but am on my own today as hubby back at work so was I using him as an emotional crutch? I feel more confident when we go out shopping etc. I wish this was over now , I cant wait for my gp aptt on thursday- he has a better understanding of me . Is it really this bad coming off diazepam even at this low dose???
Jean

Jannie2948
08-05-10, 07:35
Morning Jean

Sorry you are not feeling so good today. I too needed someone to lean on and, as I've said in other posts, my eldest son had to come and live with me and when he went out or was away for any reason I used to feel that I couldn't cope. But I did, and you will, just keep your mind busy with anything and everything that needs doing, I ironed things that I didn't even know I had!!! I also done exercise at home and I found that helped. About the diazepam, speaking from my experience, I didn't get withdrawal from the 2mg, I found that they just took the edge off my anxiety when I needed them, but I didn't feel any effects when I stopped them. Maybe it's because my dosage of the citalopram was increased. That could be what you need to do, I found that after 3 months on 20mg I was still anxious and Dr increased to 40mg and I feel so much better now. I still have the odd moment but I think that is just 'normal' for me. Have a chat with your Dr on Thursday and see what is suggested for you, maybe as Suzy-sue said in an earlier post, up to 30mg. I didn't really have any bad side effects from 20mg to 40mg just a little spaced out but no heightened anxiety to speak of and now 8 weeks later I feel so much better, I did after a couple of weeks on the 40mg. I wouldn't worry about taking 2mg of diazepam though if you are having a bad day, I still would take them if I needed to, but horrible last Dr didn't give me any!!!! :-)

Hope you feel better soon

Jannie x x

jaded jean
08-05-10, 07:43
Thanks Jannie.
If I dont feel any better I might take 1mg. I feel like the consumate junkie counting my stash!! I think as I am an anxious person anyway this might be the problem. I just think of the worst case scenario. I have all the signs- nausea jelly legs and shakes. silly I know. But yes the dosage needs to be upped definately to counteract this edge of anxiety,
Jean,
thanks for the quick response xx

Jannie2948
08-05-10, 07:47
Jean, you have just described me!! I always think the worst is going to happen, made my poor sons lives a misery when they were young, "where you going, how long, phone me, let me know you got there, let me know when you leave"!!! Thank goodness they understood me and I'm still like it now and they are 37 and 28!!!!!! I did exactly the same as you, constantly counted the diazepam to see how many I had left and if I was going anywhere and thought I might need one I had to make sure I had enough!!! Junkie or what!!! Hope you soon feel better :-)

Jannie x x

jaded jean
08-05-10, 07:54
Hi again.
My eldest -boy left home at 21 and he used to get me to run him up to his workplace and I used to sit and cry saying why dont you visit me -you can come back home I dont mind!! clingon or what . that really made me chuckle. and if I say anything that embarrases them its 'oh mother'.
Jean: )

Jannie2948
08-05-10, 07:59
It doesn't get any better the older they get!! My youngest is married and I still have to phone him on any pretense just to make sure he is ok, he works fitting satellite and so is always on someone's roof, and I always think the worst!!!! Oh please, I wish I could stop this going on in my head, but I think its just being a mum and as I have told them, I'm never going to change so they put up with it :-) They luv me really :wacko:

Jannie x x

jaded jean
08-05-10, 08:24
Oh dear we are a select breed us worry mummies arent we. my 2 daughters - 25 amd 22. got their own house just moved 20 miles from us to e nearer their work. they visit if they need anything- generally money!! But my son when he goes off to work its 'bye love . have a good day love you -what can I say???
:lac: