PDA

View Full Version : Have you read any helpful books?

Quiet-Lift
08-05-10, 21:43
Hello out there:)

Has anyone managed to read any books on the subjects of general anxiety, depression and agoraphobic symptoms?

Can you tell me if any of these have helped you in any way and what they were?

I'm trying to find something simple which will be easy to remember. Giving straightforward, commonsense advice without preachiness or jargoneering.

I'm particularly looking for inspirational and uplifting works to help combat despair.

Many thanks for reading this.

nomorepanic
08-05-10, 22:20
Claire Weekes books are the best

Danath
08-05-10, 23:40
also I picked up 'Overcoming anxiety for Dummies' off amazon too, only 7 quid, thats a good one too, keeps things simple as well.

kevjns
08-05-10, 23:51
I enjoyed Feel the fear and do it anyway by susan jeffers.Its a good read but you do have to do a lot of self cbt for you to feel the affects.There are also good bits on how things like reading the papers or watching the news in the mornings can have negative affects on your mood and make you negative before you have even woken fully for you day.

Thats just reminded me to dit it out and have a re read of it :)

Quiet-Lift
09-05-10, 11:20
Thanks for your replies

I agree about Claire Weekes. I must re-read 'Self-Help For Your Nerves'.

'Overcoming Anxiety For Dummies' might be worth a try.

Best wishes

eternally optimistic
09-05-10, 22:43
Hi

I grabbed a couple of books from the library, one called "Overcoming Traumatic Stress" by Claudia Herbert/Ann Wetmore which gives some good tips on dealing with stress and another one by Christine Ingham called Panic Attacks.

As mentioned above, Claire Weeks is also good.

Hope you find something useful.