PDA

View Full Version : After 6 months of failing to cope with anxiety unmedicated, have been prescribed Lexa

Tell
08-05-10, 23:53
After a few more bouts of sleepless nights and a growing worry that I'm never going to be right again, I finally contacted my doctor and owned up that I was doing no better panic attack wise than I was 6 months ago - and it's unfortunately severely hampering my ability to work.

He prescribed me Lexapro, along with a small dosage of valium. I have no problem taking SSRI's to try and alleviate panic, but I have just one question - and I'm sure this is going to sound ridiculous coming from a guy.

Is there any weight gain? I have been told no - but at the same time have heard horror stories of peope putting on 20-30lbs just from a few months on lexapro, with no changes in diet/exercise. The same people then would be taken off lexapro, but the weight would not drop.

While I have no weight problems now, I had a lot as a child. If I gained weight, I'd need antidepressants for a lot more than panic disorder.

Following on from that - while I felt quite depressed 6-12 months ago, I do feel quite happy in myself now, barring the panic attacks/fear of death stuff that I've been battling against. Has anyone on here ever been given lexapro for solely anxiety/panic attack issues, and would care to sound in on their effectiveness?

- Tell

Phill2
09-05-10, 02:28
Hi Will,
I've been on Lexapro for approx 5 yrs now and find it's great.
It was prescribed purely for panic/anxiety.
It takes 2-4 weeks to start working but it's good that your Dr has given you a little Valium to get you over that stage.
I've had moderate weight gain but nothing significant.
I went off it for a while and did drop the weight but had to go back on it.
Believe me a little weight is a small price to pay for getting your life back on track.
Phill

Tell
09-05-10, 12:58
I've had moderate weight gain but nothing significant.
I went off it for a while and did drop the weight but had to go back on it.
Believe me a little weight is a small price to pay for getting your life back on track.
Phill

What exactly is moderate? I'm 5' 6 and weigh around 100lbs. "Moderate" weight gain for me would be 4-5lbs. Any more than that and you'd start noticing, due to my build. As much as I feel I need to get my life in order, putting on weight from lexapro would just give me another demon to fight.

Phill2
10-05-10, 10:16
I put on about 10 lbs but have heard from others who had no weight gain at all.
Only you can decide which is more important - how you look or where your head is.