PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram side effect??? Pls help!!

MrsJaredLeto
09-05-10, 15:37
Since yday I keep getting episodes where I can't breathe, I'm not wheezy so I doubt it's my asthma, it feels like my throats closing up and my lungs won't open and it brings on the beginning of a PA :(
I started citalopram 4 days ago, is it a side effect? Has anyone had it? Please help I had no sleep at all last night with it

JT69
09-05-10, 15:49
Hi,

It could be increased anxiety as when you start taking citalopram it can cause an increase in anxiety and then panic, what dose are you taking hun? I think it is a side effect of taking the meds which in time will settle down, if you feel it is really troublesome and you cannot settle make an appointment and go chat to your GP, you may need something to help calm you down whilst the meds start working. Unfortunately unless you are really lucky srri's have some unpleasant side effects but they will pass and then you will feel the benefit.

Hope you feel better soon hun, not nice am sure.

Take care.
Jo.xx

Jannie2948
09-05-10, 16:18
It probably is exactly as Jo says, the increased anxiety when first taking citalopram is horrible and the feeling that you can't take a breath was one that I suffered with. This will all pass though, but maybe as Jo says you need something to get you through those times of heightened anxiety. My Dr gave me 2mg of diazepam to help when I first started, and I don't think I could have got through it without them.

These side effects will pass and I hope you will feel the benefits of the citalopram soon. I have found them really helpful to me.

Hope you soon start to feel the benefits of them

Jannie x x

MrsJaredLeto
09-05-10, 17:08
Thanks guys I'm on 20mg of cit and I'm determined to ride out the side effects as do many ppl say cit has saved their lives! I'm thinking if I was allergic it would of happened by now right??