PDA

View Full Version : ive had a dental abcess for 3 months !

sarah jayne
10-05-10, 12:54
ive had an abcess in my mouth for just over 3 months. Ive been on 3 courses of antibiotics then 6 weeks ago i had it drained then i had root treatment and its still here. I went to an emergency dentist over a week ago and got some more antibiotics, she said she couldnt do anything else as it was so swollen, well ive taken those and its still bloody here ! Ive contacted my dentist and asked for an appointment and they are bookes up for another 2 weeks. Surely its wrong to leave me like this ? Last time i was at the dentist there was a poster on the wall saying tht you shouldnt leave an abcess as it can cause serious health problems...what should i do ? Ive got enough problems with my health at the moment without this aswell :weep:

Pudding
10-05-10, 13:41
Hi Sarah jayne

Don't leave it. Ring your dentist again and say you need an emergency appointment as you are in pain. If they won't give you one phone NHS direct and get another dentist if possible. I had this problem and it went on for so long it damaged the nerve in my face and after spending hundreds of pounds on root fillings etc they had to pull it out. I will never have another root filling and made sure my new dentist knew this, I just insisted that if I have a big problem I want the tooth out. I know it's not the way they like to do things these days but why should you have to suffer pain. I really hope you can get this sorted, don't let them bully you!! Good luck.

Fran

Southern_Belle
10-05-10, 13:46
Hi Sarah Jayne,

I agree you must insist on being seen and getting a stronger antibiotic. I also had a tooth that abcessed and had to go on two rounds of the strongest antibiotics that they prescribe over here and then underwent a root canal then a crown. The bad thing about having certain teeth removed (and I don't which one is bothering you) is that sometimes your teeth can then move and mess up straight teeth. If it is your only route for pain relief I would do it though. I do hope you get it taken care of soon and are pain free.

Best wishes,

Laura

Cell block H fan
10-05-10, 13:48
You poor thing, what a nightmare. I would be on that phone asking for an emergency appointment. They must keep a certain amount free each day.
My son had an abcess & was seen within 24 hours. He was crying in agony though, so it must have been bad for a 14 year old to do that.
He had to choose between the tooth out in the end (after the course of antibiotics) or root canal. He decided on the tooth out, & had no problems since.
xx

Cell block H fan
10-05-10, 13:51
Hi Sarah Jayne,

I agree you must insist on being seen and getting a stronger antibiotic. I also had a tooth that abcessed and had to go on two rounds of the strongest antibiotics that they prescribe over here and then underwent a root canal then a crown. The bad thing about having certain teeth removed (and I don't which one is bothering you) is that sometimes your teeth can then move and mess up straight teeth. If it is your only route for pain relief I would do it though. I do hope you get it taken care of soon and are pain free.

Best wishes,

Laura

That's very true. My son has been to the Orthodontist, a few months after the tooth was taken out & he said in a years time, well, the end of this year in fact now, he will maybe need a small brace in the back teeth to straighen the teeth because where the gap has been left, the teeth either side will close in on it?
He will also need to have a false tooth put in, unless he doesn't mind the back ones being crooked I guess.

suzy-sue
10-05-10, 14:12
The usual antibiotics given for Abcesses are Amoxycillin and or Metronidazole .The later is very strong and sometimes is taken alongside penicillen based antibiotics when severe .I hope you have been able to get an emergency appointment by now .If not ring the NHS DIRECT ,THEY WILL be able to give you a place that will see you in your local area .Id also change your Dentist if I were you ,and put in a complaint if they havnt seen you by now, .its disgusting ..T/c hope it clears up quickly ..Sue x

sarah jayne
10-05-10, 14:16
Thanks everyone for your replies im going to ring nhs direct and tell them whats been going on and try to get an emergency appointment. To be honest even though im reluctant to loose a tooth and the thought of having it out terrifies me i just want it out because im sick of all this. Thanks again for all your replies.
Sarah xx

sarah jayne
10-05-10, 14:20
Ive been on both amoxoclillin and metronidazole, the emergency dentist i saw gave me the stronger ones and although they took the swelling down a bit they didnt get rid of it, they also made my stomach really bad..Theres a stortage of dentists where i live so although i would love a new one i cant as i have nowhere else to go, the one i go to now is in the next town.
Sarah xx

marley
11-05-10, 03:48
If you still haven't seen a dentist, go and see a doctor.

They will prescribe you more antibiotics (tell them you've had a bad tummy from penicillin based ones and you'll likely be prescribed non-penicillin ones which are just as effective) and also some prescription pain relief.

A doctor will not shy away from treating you and may be invaluable in the interim. I know my doctor saved me during my wait for a dentist when I had my abscess (for a year and a half! Ugh!)

saralou
11-05-10, 16:23
have you tried putting raw garlic on the affected tooth until u can get to a dentist..it's a natural antibiotic and also salt water mouth rinses will help too
sara lou