PDA

View Full Version : Cheese.B12 & Depression link

PoppyC
10-05-10, 14:46
Hi :)
Just thought I would quickly add this to the site, whilst I think of it.
Whenever I ate hard cheeses - cheddar - in the past, I would feel depressed a couple of hours later. I noticed this every time, so I stopped eating cheese.(I am the same with white breads too)
I tried it again at the weekend and found the very same thing happened.
I looked some articles online about foods related to anxiety and depression,and found that there is quite a lot of sites that connect eating cheese and depression.
Maybe this will not cause any problems in every individual, but for some it may help contribute to their depression.
Also I had my B12 injection and found that I feel so much better since then.
I had pernicious anemia.
I read up on the B vitamins and found that a lack of any one of them can cause depression and mental changes.
Just thought would add this anyway, for what its worth. :shrug:

KK77
10-05-10, 14:57
Interesting.... I know some dairy products can affect some folks in negative ways so will see how I feel next time I have a cheese-laden pizza lol.

One thing that does affect me badly is preservatives/additives that are in nearly all processed foods.

I definitely think there's some link between the things we eat and depression/anxiety so I'd recommend that we watch out for foods that affect us in this way.

Granny Primark
10-05-10, 17:10
Oh my goodness!
Im a serious cheeseaholic and eat cheese every single day.
I will even open a tin of pineapples and cut chunks of extra mature cheddar and put it on sticks and make a meal of it.
I even eat toast with Seriously strong spread cheese on.
Ive been very depressed recently and havent been able to eat.
The only thing ive been able to eat is cheese.
Cheese now is a no no.
Thanks for telling us this poppy.

Bexmumto3
10-05-10, 18:33
Oh nooooo I love cheese, have got it on my dinner tonight, lol

Someone else recommended Vit B12 as well, really think I might give this a go, anything is worth a try !!

I find that anything too spicy or anything that is sweet n sour will set my palpitations off very badly so I avoid them all now, so miss my spicy food.

hallam11
10-05-10, 19:45
Hello I do believe that B12 does help however I have been taking viatmin B12 complex for the past 6 months and my depression has gotten worse not better. I don't know,im not saying taking the b12 has made me worse, just saying don't pin too mcuh on this. I had read that b12 and omega 3 helps those with depression and it hasn't for me. Thanks for the cheese tip! Will eat less of it!
xxxx

suzy-sue
10-05-10, 20:04
Theres some interesting info on diet issues relating to sleep probs and Depression on this link www.13.waisays.com (http://www.13.waisays.com) Sue

PoppyC
11-05-10, 12:17
Hi
Thanks for all replies and also for sharing the link too - just going to have a look at that.
I hope I have not turned you all against cheese :unsure: lol It is difficult I find in giving it up because I love it, but just can't cope with the effects.
Remember that this is just my own personal experience and it may not affect others in the same way.
Bex - I am the same with anything too spicy or salty. I can't drink cola either because of the palpitations I get and coffee makes me go seriously mood swingy.
Lynn- Maybe eating too much cheese is making your depression worse? or maybe it has nothing to do with it, in which case keep eating it, if you dont eat anything else! lol
My diet is really restricted - thats prob why I ended up with pernicious anemia :doh: I hardly eat anything actually and I am a vegetarian too, but I dont like many vegetables :shrug:
Hallam - That is odd about the vit B12 as it is supposed to help, but I suppose it is like anything - what works for one person doesn't always work for another. I have B12 injections, but I don't think there is much difference between the injections and tablets.
Does anyone else have any other food tips?
I love reading about food and how it can affects moods, anxiety and depression.
There is a lot of information on the MIND website about diet and mood too.
http://www.mind.org.uk/help/medical_and_alternative_care/food_and_mood/did_you_know

mollymoo
11-05-10, 13:17
I had B12 injections and iron and folate tablets years ago. It helped a bit. My docter told me that the B12 usually only will last in the body for about 2 years so it is worth getting blood tests again after that. I don't think that the tablets work as well because the levels are not as high as the injectable type?

hallam11
11-05-10, 13:27
I did wonder if the tablets were not being absorbed in my body. I have been taking them for 6 months now and I thought I may feel some benefits. You know other viatmins have to be taken alongside others otherwise they wont be absorbed I wonder if thats the same for vitamin B12? Just an idea?
x

sb001f8994
11-05-10, 13:43
Hi,
I think some of us definately react to certain foods as others dont. I cant eat chocolate as I find it increases the palps, strawberries bring me out in a rash, orange juice makes my eczema worse. Ive cut down on cheese, eat very few sweets and find my diet is getting more boring by the day!!! But at least Im feeling better in myself so all these nice things I dont eat anymore is definately a small price to pay for feeling happier!
Take care,

hallam11
11-05-10, 13:48
Awww Carol,

I am glad that you have found the foods that really help you and ones that don't. I can't say that I really pay much attention to what i eat or what effect it has, I think I may start to do so, it may help me.

xx

Cardea
11-05-10, 14:21
You can ask your doctor for a blood test to see whether your depression is either caused or exacerbated by other conditions or deficiencies. If you know you have pernicious anaemia you should continue to take B12 for about 6 months, after which you should take another blood test and see whether your levels are still low. If so your body may not be absorbing the B12 correctly through diet or oral supplements, in which case injections may be the solution. It's worth sticking it out for a while and having a chat with your doctor about it.

I am also a strong believer in the importance of a good diet. I find the GI eating plan a really sensible option. It was initially designed with diabetics in mind as the aim is to eat foods that release energy slowly. It cuts down on the mood swings and balances out high and low energy levels. After a while you stop craving fatty or sugary foods completely.

Of course kick-starting the healthy eating plan is sometimes easier said than done when you're not feeling your most motivated to begin with.

PoppyC
11-05-10, 17:20
Hi Cardea
Thanks for replying.
I have B12 injections and will have to have every 3 months for the time being for pernicious anemia. I go to the hospital for these.
It is mainly to do with my diet and part because it did run in my family - mum and grandmother. My grandmother used to eat raw liver to help her. :scared15: Urghhhhhhhhhhh.
I don't usually get down - well not unless I eat cheese lol :shrug:
Carol - I get palpitations when I eat chocolate. I am ok with a small amount. Strawberries make me itch!
I agree it can get a bit boring but I would rather feel happier.