PDA

View Full Version : Hello

qualia
10-05-10, 17:15
Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone here could confirm if I have anxiety? About 6 weeks ago, I insufflated a herculean dose of an amphetamine based drug... It'd been sold to me as something else so wasn't expecting the effects. I instantly went into a severe panic attack and was hospitalised... I remained there for 4 hours having wave after wave of panic. I was sent home when they couldn't find anything physically wrong with me. If anything good has come out of it, it's definitely put me off drugs for life...

For the next 2 weeks I was having upto 3/4 panic attacks a day along with DP/DR, depth perception issues, paranoia etc. The symptoms are so incredibly physical, I found it hard to believe it could be caused by a psychological issue, but I realised one trigger for my panic was if I read up about drug induced issues... So I stopped researching and now don't really have full blown panic attacks.

However, I'm still suffering from extreme pressure in my head (this is present 24/7!), dizziness, shakiness, tingling in my neck/arms/legs/hands, strange thoughts and dreams, insomnia, headaches, difficulty concentrating, pounding heart when I try to relax, loss of appetite. The last few days have been very difficult and I think drinking last weekend made it a lot worse.

I still haven't been to a doctor. I have an appointment for Thursday, so will hopefully get some help and advice then. I am, however, going through the Lucinda Bassett Attacking Anxiety tapes which has helped me deal with and understand a lot of my symptoms... Some friends are going to a theme park on Wednesday and part of me doesn't want to go too. I'm afraid of fainting or having a panic in front of my peers. But I'm gonna force myself. Why shouldn't I carry on living???... :)

nomorepanic
10-05-10, 17:17
Hi qualia

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

qualia
10-05-10, 18:06
Thank you =) And thanks for providing this resource. It's very reassuring to know there are so many other people who feel like me...

hallam11
10-05-10, 18:19
Hello!!

Welcome to No More Panic! :welcome:
I hope you find people to relate to on here. I can understand a little about the physical symptoms. Take care xxx

Bexmumto3
10-05-10, 18:38
Hi & welcome to NMP

My first big panic happened after I was prescribed Paroxetine anti-depressants and had a reaction to them with my heart racing & the panics came in waves as you described and for days after I ahd similar symptoms to what you mentioned.
It does sound like you could possibly be suffering from anxiety & panic attacks, I still suffer with the pressure in head, dizziness & shaking (along with many ther symptoms) it's worth speaking with your doctor, even if you don't want to go down the medication route they might still be able to offer some help & advice, good luck x

qualia
10-05-10, 23:22
I think drugs (prescribed or otherwise) have become a common trigger for panic/anxiety disorders. A doctor friend of mine suggested that many of us have underlying anxiety problems before it becomes a disorder and I did actually suffer from social anxiety in my teenage years (one of the reasons I stupidly began using recreational drugs). My bad experience just brought my anxiety to the fore. This is 1000x worse than anything I've ever experienced before though. Utterly terrifying at times. Thank you all for the welcome, by the way...

qualia
11-05-10, 00:05
I'm lucky that many of my friends have experienced similar issues due to drugs and I already had a bit of knowledge about brain chemistry... I'd still like to know what the constant pain/pressure is in my head and neck though. It gets worse when I panic, so I imagine it's another symptom of anxiety...