PDA

View Full Version : work and anxiety!!

randomworry
10-05-10, 22:10
hi guys

just wondered what everyone does for work or with the large part of day if they are unemployed. I ask because my health anxiety/ocd meant i had to resign from my latest job as a care worker.

they job involved personal care and there was a lot of bleeding gums when brushing clients teeth etc. I started to worry i could get hepatitis C and the anxiety was too much!

so wondered how health anxiety has affected others at work and how they cope with it as I dont want to leave jobs through anxiety really but in this case i had to!

cheers

qualia
10-05-10, 23:44
I work freelance as a web developer and used to sell music online... All done on purpose, so I could avoid dealing with people face to face!! I used to suffer from Social Anxiety. I got over that a few years ago, but my new anxiety is something completely different. Very physical. I've never experienced anything quite so frightening...

Oddly, I'd love to work in a normal office or something now. Just so I can be around people. I seem to be more anxious when I'm on my own :(

drguineapig
11-05-10, 12:43
A really good question! My anxiety, mixed with a demanding job in academia has nearly pushed me over the edge over the last 12 months. I seem to have a tipping point with stress, beyond which I just crash altogether and it triggers all my health anxieties, I drink too much wine, don't look after myself and it turns into a vicious circle as this makes me worry more about my health. Currently don't know whether to give the job up as I don't see an answer. I guess a lot of people struggle with anxiety and work?

JulesD
11-05-10, 14:05
I am a secretary in an office and there is too much opportunity to work on my own and be on line which is fuelling my anxiety the rest of the time I am at home with my lovely children and I keep myself busy and tried and keep my mind distracted, however I have given up my job to work part time in a little local village pub, i need to get my self confidence back and start interacting with people i am so frightened but I am making myself do it so i start next week.

bellab
11-05-10, 17:40
Hmmm...
another person who struggles with this one!!
I have struggled massively with work since the beginning of this year (I started a new job in sept last yr) ....it is a high stress/high pressure job, there is no denying that but my ability to cope with it is down to almost zero at times...

I dread seeing clients, I am constantly terrified I wont make it through the day without being ill or having a panic attack (or both) ...it absolutely exhausts me

I honestly dont know the answer...I dont want to jack my job in due to anxiety as my confidence is already at an all time low, and I dont think leaving anything in this state would be the right thing to do...also I cant afford to not work, and I think being at home all the time would be a nightmare for my head right now!...

but...the temptation is there....

I wonder do I just tell myself "a different job and Ill be fine"...instead of contemplating there might be more too it than just work stress...

I dont know, luckily I have a partner, good friends and a counsellor who do NOT entertain any ideas that me giving up work would be a good idea...especially not as a "running away" response to anxiety (which at this stage is what it would be)...but how to cope better day to day? I mean how long does one just "grin and bear it" ....surely I need to be doing something to address the anxiety rather than white knuckling the whole time?

sorry to answer your question with another "me too" but I too struggle with the same issues- what to do about work ? for those who have given up/changed jobs, did it actually help the anxiety or just make it go elsewhere?

thanks

bella

Tinkrebel
12-05-10, 22:50
I have health anxiety and depression, and work as a care home manager. I'm really fortunate that my boss is aware of my health and is happy for me to work on the days I feel up to it, and have time off when I don't. I really don't know what I would of done if I'd been working for another employer as I'm sure I would of lost my job by now due to amount of time off sick.

I'd hate to be out of work as staying at home makes me worse, if I haven't got anything else to try to focus on, I just dwell on every slight pain and it triggers the panic attacks.

Could you not look for care work in a home with more able residents, all the ones I look after are all able to complete their own personal care and the staff are there to support them with life skills.