PDA

View Full Version : Herbal Remedies for Anxiety..??

wigi-woo
11-05-10, 11:35
Can anyone recommend any herbal anxiety remedies..

I have general anxiety, and my mind races at like 100mph all the time.. im having CBT but want to be able to try something also in the mean time to stop me worrying about evrything else in between the therapy!

Ive read up on St.Johns Wort but i cant take that because of being on the pill.

I wanna be able to take something that i can have during the day that wont leave me feeling drowsy or sleepy, but can just calm my head down, and just help me enjoy the day in a happy and calm state. i dont need any help sleep-wise, i can fall asleep at the snap of my fingers.

Ive heard about passionflower, and ive heard of l-theanine, but i cant seem to find any of that in Holland and Barretts or Boots..

Has anyone had any success with anything thats available in the uk, and that isnt too expensive!

Many Thanks!

Wigi-Woo.xx

phattgal
11-05-10, 11:51
Hi at the moment I'm trying the Bach remedies, I've got the rescue remedy and also White chestnut which is supposed to help with "thoughts going over and over in your head" can't tell you if they are actually working tho I've only been taking them for a couple of days and i'm ultra freaking out waiting for blood test results so........
But hope this helps a little
Jo

Mr.D
24-05-10, 16:41
I've been using Kalms at the moment which seem to work most of the time, there has been one or two occasions where they havent though. Make me space out alot to, feel very light headed.

JohnBliss
24-05-10, 19:05
Hi There
Passionflower is the active ingredient of Natracalm which is available in Boots. I find it helpful in taking the edge off the nervous tension. I also use Kalms. I also find Bach's Rescue remedy (spray) very useful for an immediate " fix" Hope you find something that helps
Regards
John

gladyscourt
24-05-10, 21:40
Hey, i bought some valerian root yesturday which is supposed to help so you can try that, or holland and barret sell something called 5HTP which is supposed to be really good. If you dont already you could try taking Vitamin B, thats supposed to help nervous system. I take that also xx

nomorepanic
24-05-10, 21:49
Try this website page...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/remedies/

wigi-woo
06-06-10, 23:06
Thank you for all the suggestions, im going to look into some boots products from the bits mentioned here, hopefully theyll work! will let you know!

thanks again guys

much love

wigi-woo

sebastian66
20-07-10, 09:00
Some of the herbal oils can be helpful in treating anxiety, it sooth the nerves and oils are ylang ylang, sandalwood, rose, evening primrose, neroli, Melissa, lavender, jasmine, geranium, cypress and bergamot. You can use lavender oil as your base for different types of relaxing blends.

Thumbelina
20-07-10, 09:59
i was prescribed St johns wart and - then 5 years ago it didnt work for me - I havent had a clue what was happening to my body, i was in a total breakdown with 20 panic attacks per day, so i guess i didnt even give a chance to it.

I believe if it works for some - it better then chemistry

absentia
20-07-10, 12:10
L-Theanine is in green tea, but there may not be enough to have great effects. I have taken L-Theanine (solgar brand) as a sample from my nutrition store and I feel it really did help. The trouble is, a bottle of Solgar L-Theanine capsules are greatly expensive.

L-Theanine is not herbal either, it is an amino acid found in protein, but eating meat will not have the same effect as it is best absorbed as an individual amino acid, which is why people take capsules.

I am not a firm believer in herbal remedies. I have more faith in nutritional remedies as I have tried and tested them myself. Taking a B-Vitamin complex can greatly improve your anxiety and improve your energy levels. Try taking the holland and barrett B-50 complex (1 in the morning and 1 at night). It says to take 1 a day on the bottle, but it is safe to take 2 as they do a B-100, which is essentially 2 B-50's. You could also take an extra Inositol tablet (another B vitamin) for an extra anxiety reduction boost. Inositol is in the B-50 complex, but large amounts of Inositol are needed for anxiety relief and an OD has never been reported.

J F B
22-07-10, 12:25
I use rescue remedy to help sooth anxiety. I find that it does work, however, it only seems to take effect when you drop it onto your tongue instead of putting it into a glass of water.

This may seem a strange one, but Vicks vapour rub is a massive help. I find that I suffer from a "tight chest" sensation when my anxiety is at it's peak. Putting on Vicks does help to relieve this sensation and in turn helps to calm me down. Never leave home without it!

Hope this helps.. x

Kacarp05
22-08-10, 10:55
Anyone tried Kava Kava?

ginny
29-11-10, 14:00
Have a look at this web site page http://www.depressioncanbefun.com/index.php/Depression-Special-Articles/natural_treatments_for_depression/

gaaron
29-11-10, 16:06
Hi Regards Kava Kava

A few years ago when I was trying to give up smoking KK was recommended. I have a constant problem with my back,muscle spasm etc. Well I couldn't believe the effect after using KK. My muscles were oh so wonderfully relaxed. I didn't take it all the time as once my muscles had 'untightened' I was able to cope. But I would take if I knew there'd be a problem.
Then low and behold they banned it in the UK! (2003) Some people had died in Germany, it appeared to be alchohol related, but it is still banned - even importing it.
The big shops sold it, so it wasn't an unknown product.
Can't find anything that does the same, because I really need that boost, to try and regain muscle 'normality'.

gambo
29-11-10, 16:23
hi there you can get kava kava from agestop .com hope this helps

gaaron
29-11-10, 16:46
Oh Gambo! Just been on the site (uk). You are wonderful. Thankyou - I'll be able to have some proper sleep when I get it aswell! I am so pleased....x:bighug1:

ginny
29-11-10, 16:47
Have a look a these recommendations for herbal medicine for anxiety/stress and depression. This is a really helpful site and I've used Filisa very successfully to treat anxiety.
http://www.depressioncanbefun.com/index.php/Depression-Special-Articles/natural_treatments_for_depression/

gaaron
29-11-10, 17:06
Hi ginny, I've tried a few times to use the site but it keeps 'freezing'. It looks good tho'. Will try again later. x

ljd
29-11-10, 21:17
Have you tried the bach flower remidies they are good for me. try rescue remedy tc

suzy-sue
29-11-10, 21:21
good link ..thanks ..sue x

raj.k.mishra
09-12-10, 14:16
try whitenia somnifera root powder. An age old herb used in indian ayurvedic system. Take 2 table spoon of sesame oil seed as soon as you get up. I won so can you. Good luck

suzy-sue
09-12-10, 16:12
Never heard of it ..:ohmy:Where do you get it and is it side effect free ? sue

bottleblond
09-12-10, 17:31
It says it has healing and aphrodisiac properties. I'm not trying it coz i certainly don't want to have the next nmp baby. :whistles:

Lisa
x

suzy-sue
09-12-10, 19:57
:roflmao:Me neither ...perish the thought!!!!!!:scared15::scared15: sue

KK77
09-12-10, 20:36
It says it has healing and aphrodisiac properties. I'm not trying it coz i certainly don't want to have the next nmp baby. :whistles:

Lisa
x

And I thought you were expecting BB :ohmy:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Wn-ZqxG8n_ZMnM:http://www.crazynfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/uglywoman.jpg&t=1

bottleblond
09-12-10, 21:11
You cheeky BLEEEEEEEEEEEP!!! :roflmao::roflmao: XXX

suzy-sue
10-12-10, 10:35
:roflmao: Didnt realise they were the same as Aswaghanda ..it has anti inflammatory properties too and is good for arthritis .Might try it after all :blush:....sue x

pixie_x
23-12-10, 16:46
Quiet life or Kalms :)