PDA

View Full Version : How long for side effects to decrease?

mollymoo
11-05-10, 12:22
Hi all, I just found this site thank goodness! I have been on citalopram 60 mg for over 5 years and at the same time cymbalta 60 mg. My Psychiatrist has put me on Mirtazapine a month ago ( still taking the cymbalta) and I started off on 15mg to wean onto it then after 10 days went up to 30mg. I feel like death :weep:. So I went back last week and he suggested dropping back down to 15 mg for 3 weeks and then take one full tablet (30) one night and then half the next for a few weeks. I just am so sick of feeling out of it and tired. Does anybody have any experience of side effects lasting so long? I am desperate for this to work so am trying to persevere but it's getting really hard. I apologise for how rambled this is to read but my brain feels like it's fried and I can't be concise to save myself.

Vixxy
11-05-10, 13:11
Are you still taking teh citalopram or weening off of that?
Ive read that some people dont get on with mirtazapine as it leaves them feeling groggy the following day.

hallam11
11-05-10, 13:23
Hello, 8 weeks ago I started on Mirtazapine on the 15mg, I felt slight side effects but I was lucky and they subsided after about a week or two. Then 4 weeks ago I was told to increase it to 30mg. I didn't get anymore side effects really, however having said that I don't feel the benefit of them either and i am now starting the weaning off period so I can start citalopram. I hope mirtazapine works for you, I have heard it has worked for many others, sadly it didn't for me. I would say just try and stick with the side effects. When i felt dizzy on them I ate a small bit of chocolate and felt better so maybe it does something weird to the blood sugar.

XX

mollymoo
11-05-10, 13:40
Thank you for your replies! No I came off the citalopram over a few weeks so now just (LOL) on mirtazapine, cymbalta and xanax

Vixxy
11-05-10, 14:35
I went from citalopram to mirtazapine as I was getting really bad side effects from the citalopram.
I think I had a muggy head for about 2 weeks. Felt fine unless someone tried to talk to me or i had to think, it felt like it was just bouncing around in my skull. Horrible feeling.
As a rule of thumb Ive always had really bad side effects from drugs for the first 9 days, then each day after that up until abotu 3 weeks the bad feelings subside slowly.
Youre nearly through it now!

mollymoo
11-05-10, 14:40
Thank you Vixxy, that gives me hope! I never had any probs with cital just that it wasn't working anymore. I mentioned to the Psychiatrist that I wonder if I could be this blah as I was on it (cital) for so long that maybe it is my body protesting the withdrawl.

Vixxy
11-05-10, 14:48
Ive always had problems with citalopram. Been put on it 3 times and each time it makes me feel like death. Once im over that then I get all teh long term side effects from it(which I put up with for years), hence why I swapped to mirtazapine.
Wierdly when I swapped my GP told me to start taking mirtazapine every day and then the citalopram every other day. The days when I wasnt taking a citalopram I was ok and the days I was I had more side effects from their withdrawl. So I can uderstand if youre getting ill, seeing as youre withdrawing from one and getting the new side effects from another one.
Yuck. Why cant they make these pills nice to take? lol

JT69
11-05-10, 17:20
Hi Molly,

I like you was on citalopram but unfortunately it stopped working for me too, so my gp changed me to mirtazipine, I have been taking it for around 4 months now. I started off on 15mg then after around 2 months went up to 30mg, I found at first it did cause drowsiness and even felt drunk for most of the day but after a couple of weeks it disappeared. When I increased to 30mg I didn't really notice too much of a difference in the drowsiness. I still get odd days where I wake up feeling drowsy but it does go.

Mirtazipine got me my life back and after having 5 months sick from work I was able to go back, I am not completely out of the woods yet as I keep going through periods of "blips" and am just hoping it is one of those things...but I really dont know. I still suffer with anxiety especially first thing on waking and sometimes it lingers throughout the day until late afternoon, and this is really starting to get me down so am going to chat to my GP tonight about it.

Hope it all goes well for you and if there is anything else I can help you with please post away.

Take care.
JO.xx

hallam11
11-05-10, 18:02
Hey Jo,

I really hope the doctors goes well and you find the right thing to work for you.You said a little while ago that you were thinking mirtazapine might not be the one for you.I hope you find it!!!

Mollymoo, I think you will soon find that the side effetcs subside and no longer effect you. Just give it a little time x

mollymoo
12-05-10, 14:00
Thank you all for taking the time to write! I appreciate it :)

Strangely today I actually felt a bit better physically and I think a bit better mentally? Don't want to get my hopes up just yet but I think I had a 'good' day! Its been so long I don't know if it is real or not lol. Finger's crossed it continues.

Vixxy - I agree why can't they make a happy pill (lol) that is a happy pill!!!!! It is weird how different meds react with us all, on Citalopram I never had a single side effect. Total opposite to you.

Jo - Thank you very much. I hope your doctor can offer some advice for you. All the very best.

Hallam - I think you may be right! I am determined to stick it out!

JT69
12-05-10, 19:41
Hi Molly....hope it was a good day for you hun...am glad for you.:) Jo.xx

hallam11
12-05-10, 20:36
Hey Molly,

I think its wise to not give up too early,you never know these tablets could give you that little boost to get you on the road to recovery!

I am glad today you feel a little better!
xxxx

mollymoo
13-05-10, 12:53
Thanks guys! I think it may be working....another day where I can't describe the feeling...almost like I'm at peace lol :D

Alipally
14-05-10, 18:50
Hi,

i'm new to this, i have been searching for info after my psychiatrist started on Mirtazapine on monday, i have been taking citalopram for 8 months and it stopped working. was having too many bad days!!!

so far the mirtazapine is making me feel spaced out, and bit slow and oblivious to things, have accidently burnt myself twice, dont feel safe to drive, will this feeling go???

please help x

Vixxy
14-05-10, 18:55
If youve only just started on them, then yes it will pass. Usually up to 2 weeks with each day being better than the last.
I found driving really hard when i started or increased a dose, so i made sure to avoid it until i was feeling better.

Alipally
14-05-10, 18:58
i've not driven, but it my only means of getting out the house so now i am stuck with cabin fever waiting for side effects to go. oh dear

Vixxy
14-05-10, 20:12
Just take it easy, theyll pass soon enough :)

JT69
15-05-10, 09:08
Hi Alipally,

Welcome to the mirtazipine club....when I first started taking them I was suffering withdrawal from citaloopram at the same time so felt pretty awful. The first 2 weeks I couldn't drive, I felt drunk and spaced out and heavy like you describe. It does wear off eventually as your body gets used to them. We are all different so hopefully the side effects will wear off quicker for you.

Keep posting and we will support you on here as a few of us are taking it.

Take care.
Jo.xx

mollymoo
15-05-10, 13:55
Hi Alipally, I hope you start feeling better soon. The last few days I have been feeling better, still really tired and somewhat spaced out but better yippee! The best part is I think they are working on the mental side too....It's so hard to describe but nothing is phaseing me AT all! Almost like I am at peace. Please try and stick it out, it may be just the thing that will work for you. xx

doktorjohn
17-05-10, 12:31
I've been on mirtazapine 45mg for a year and I'm still a bit spaced-out
especially in the morning.
I had side-effects for about 8 months but I'm so glad I stuck with it because it
really works. I've tried all the major anti-depressants and finally found the one for me.
Trouble is I'm too spaced to work and the benefits office are trying to kick me off
Incapacity Benefit.

I am taking my case to an appeal tribunal.

JT69
17-05-10, 18:14
Hi doktorjohn,

Have been taking mirtazipine for almost 4 months now, started on 15mg then upped to 30mg after about 4 weeks. Do you feel spaced out every morning?? I think this is what is happening to me, I wake up and feel groggy. I didnt realise that the side effects could last so long? I am usually so bright and breezy in the morning this is the bit I have found difficult and have wondered if mirtazipine is really the right drug for me. Reading your post has made me wonder even further. It just takes ages for me to get going and as I work full time I find it quite difficult at times.

Sorry that you are unable to work....I have to so if it was that bad that I couldn't work I would definately have to come off the meds.

Good for you taking it to an appeal tribunal as it is not your fault, I hope that you are sucessful with this.

Take care
Jo.