PDA

View Full Version : Online relationships

NotResponding
12-05-10, 02:11
deleted.

qualia
12-05-10, 02:26
Thanks to my previous line of work, I know many people involved in event management, artist management, djing and performing ie. people who you wouldn't think would have trouble developing relationships... Yet so many of them use dating sites!!

Personally, I've not met many people I would consider having a long term relationship with on or offline... And I've met some complete weirdos from dating sites. Certainly, be wary. Try to have a phone conversation or cam chat first. Meet as friends. Don't make any promises just in case she IS a scary bloke or psychopath. But don't knock internet dating. Some people have met their soulmates through it (apparently lol)...

eeyorelover
12-05-10, 04:08
I can only speak from a friendship standpoint because I have no first hand knowledge of romantic relationships via the internet but I've made friendships online that are more genuine and supportive than I have in real life.
I'm not sure how you would make sure that the person you are speaking to for a romantic relationship is genuinely who they say they are online.
It is true that you need to take precautions when beginning an online relationship.
Giving too much personal info can put you into a situation that is unsafe.
But I don't think that having an online relationship is 'sad'. Sometimes you can say things to people online that you wouldn't be able to face to face and so in that way I think that you could reach a level of intimacy (emotionally) that you could build on.
xxx
Sandy

jude uk
12-05-10, 04:39
I met my present girlfriend on line and 8 months later it is going great. We where honest with each other from the start and I stress that is very important. Ours was a dating site that we both paid to be on, so I think you are going to find genuine people on there. Like anywhere(even meeting someone in a pub or club) you can meet people that are not genuine.

My advice for on line dating is to keep a record of what the person says at the beginning, it protects you from lies.
I dont think there is any point in a long distence relationship as most times it does not work. Talking on msn for a bit is good as you get to know them and when you do meet you have loads to talk about.
For me it worked and it is going strong.

If you dont try then you wont know but it can work

amandaj
12-05-10, 06:18
id just like to say i met my now husband online we have been together 8 years now and married over 3 so yes they can work lol

anthrokid
12-05-10, 06:23
Me and I guy I was seeing for a while met online, and we're still great friends now. We even ended up at the same uni together by chance. I think as long as it sounds genuine and you're careful about it, it can be great. I've also made other great friends online. It can work fine :)

diane07
12-05-10, 07:29
I too met my partner online and on a dating site and he the most genuine caring bloke ever, been together for 3 years now, one of my best friends also met her bloke on a dating site and she married him last year and moved to another part of the country to live with him.............so yes it can work.

My advice would be the same as judeswan, keep a note of what is said in the beginning and it doesn't do any harm to have that bit of waryness.

I hope it works out for you both

best wishes

di xx

StandFree1903
12-05-10, 08:56
Ive just started speakin to a guy online and he too has anxiety, im meetin him on monday for a meal n then cinema, but we both feel that we can take it to next level which is a relationship, but we wont know for sure until after monday..... at the moment were texting n constantly flirting n all is ok.

if u do feel wary, spk to them for a lil longer until u feel comfortable, because in time only u can tell if u want anything to happen.

good luck and hope it goes well for u :)

PoppyC
12-05-10, 11:14
I think - and this is only my opinion - that knowing someone, for only a month, whether it be online or offline, is very early days.
Enjoy it for what it is at the moment,just enjoy getting to know each other, don't look too far ahead, or whether or not it will lead to anything more serious, and then if it goes much further then thats a bonus. Getting to know each other too, by chatting on the phone too, before meeting may be a good idea.
What someone can portray through the internet can be anything but how they really are - but thats the same too for getting to know someone offline. Everyone starts off showing their best side don't they?
I know of people who had awful experiences with people they met online, but I also know of people, who eventually met up, and are now married.
My sister met her husband and they are now married, and has a little girl with him, and they have been together 13 years.
An old friend of mine, met his now wife online, and other old friends met online too. It doesn't all have to be bad experiences.
I suppose online dating is pretty much the same as offline dating, but the only thing is if you meet someone offline, you actually get to see them first, and you know whether the physical attraction is there or not, (I know its not all about looks though) whereas with the internet someone could send you photos that were taken ages ago and when you meet you find that they are nothing as they described, but I guess you could get around that with using the webcam.
I do hope everything goes well for you. Best of luck. :yesyes:

KK77
12-05-10, 11:59
People online are real but a relationship will never be real till you meet them and see them for what they are.

Until that time I would always be cautious.

NotResponding
12-05-10, 12:21
Okaaaaaay firstly thankyou guys/gals for all the responses:hugs:
Very much appreciated, I will take em into consideration.
Well she didnt write to me this morning, for once, so chances are she's gone off me...
Also - It is on a website that is nothing to do with dating. She's been there for over a year and has many friends. and , it's probably just my own doubt in things, but she wants me to talk to her more about me, THAT is why Im getting hesitant...aaaaannnndd! I think if I tell her too much about me she will be disinterested ^like someone said, people show their best sides first...

But I think now; it is online, there is little chance we will ever meet, and it is nor a relationship more a friendship atm, so I should let my guard down a little bit (but what happens in life if ya do that? Bad things happen usually)

Thanks for your response :hugs: and....for those that are happily married- wow! Good for you, perhaps the internet enabled you to get that far with the first steps being easier and safe...really good for you

hallam11
12-05-10, 12:56
Hi Notresponding,

I would agree with what everyone has said, it can work but in the beginning remember to air on the side of caution. There are very good stories to come out of it so there is definately hope! Just be careful and if they say something that really worries you then trust yourself to do what you need. I studied events management at university and I am at the minute trying to find a job in it. I don't think it matters what you do for a living or who you are depression and anxiety can hit you and it doesn't surprise me that there are those kinds of people on dating sites, i have been on them in the past. It's a tough world out there and if people can find a special someone online then more power to 'em!

Hope all who don't have anyone finds their special someone! xx

Granny Primark
12-05-10, 15:51
My son befriended a girl in a chatroom. They met, fell in love and now have 2 beautiful daughters age 5 and 2.
That was 7 years ago.
They are totally besotted with each other. YUK YUK YUK lol:D:mad::D:winks:

suzy-sue
12-05-10, 17:40
My Sons friend met a girl from Canada on line .He went to meet her in Canada and they later got married . .He now lives there ,and has now got a child :D Sue ..

KK77
22-09-11, 12:03
We charge for dating site spam...

£50 per post made payable to No More Panic here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/misc.php?do=donate

jerrylothar
03-10-11, 08:27
I think bonding relations online is too strong and awesome as i ever found. i really love this way to connect with people. its a great way to find your love one also

cathycrumble
03-10-11, 14:50
I met my lovely man on a dating site and we have been together 18 months. After beeing in a bad marriage for 30 years I feel blessed to have met this lovely handsom caring man :hugs:

Cathy xx