PDA

View Full Version : mirena coil - panic attacks?

niky257
12-05-10, 13:27
Hi. I have been googling to try to find an answer to this question, but this site is the only one I trust to give me some honest advice :)

I had a mirena coil fitted 2 weeks ago. Have woken a couple of times in the night since with racing heart, sweating and basically end up having a panic attack. I am a long standing panic attack sufferer, but these night time panics had tailed off a while back. I'm sure my panic/anxiety is hormone related, so wondered if anyone thinks the coil could be causing them? I have no other symptoms at the moment. Thanks ever so.

Niky

Going home
12-05-10, 20:48
Hi Niky. Its been some years since i had the Mirena fitted and I struggled on with it for 16 months before I asked the doctor to remove it (its easier to take out than to put in so he removed it himself as an ordinary appointment with one of the nurses in the room and only took a few minutes). I have always been sensitive to progesterone, not everybody is, and of course its progesterone that's in the Mirena. The reason they fitted the coil was to control heavy periods, which theyd tried to control with the medication called Norethisterone...trade name for progesterone, and these made me really bad...panics, breathlessness and a spaced out feeling.

They didn't think the Mirena would affect me so much since the progesterone is released directly into the womb lining rather than the bloodstream...but they were wrong i'm afraid. I still got the panics and spaced out feelings. Though I have to say it really did a great job of reducing my heavy periods to almost nothing so I wasn't looking forward to having that again so next they gave me a non-hormonal med called Tranxenamic Acid, its absolutely brilliant at reducing the bleeding with no side effects. If you look it up on here you'll probably find some past threads about it.

I would say your panics could be the Mirena based on my own experience, but as its only been a few weeks, it could also be your own anxiety about having it fitted. Perhaps give it a bit longer and see how it goes, but what you describe does sound familiar...my first panic attack after having it fitted came only 4 days after.

Hope this helps a bit
Anna xx :)

niky257
13-05-10, 00:56
Thanks Anna

Up again tonight with sweats and feeling panic :)

After reading your reply, will try to keep an open mind and see how things go. I had a similar thing after the birth of my 2nd little boy, so I'm thinking it must be hormonal in some way? I'll see what they say at my check up(if I can wait that long!)

Thanks again your reply really is very helpful

Niky x

Going home
13-05-10, 01:07
That's ok Niky, these flippin hormones really have alot to answer for don't they :scared15:

Hope you get it sorted
Anna xx :)