PDA

View Full Version : Artificial sweeteners & tingling sensations

Catalyst
12-05-10, 22:23
Well, I've had a strange tingling sensation in my lips & tongue many times for about the last 10 years. I've never been able to work out why it happens.

Then today I've suddenly stumbled on a theory & would value your opinions!

Basically, the first ever episode was just after visiting a KFC 10 years ago. That never meant anything until today when I suddenly realised that in the last 3 months, 2 of the 3 times I've had the tingling mouth have also been after visiting KFC ... I go there too much, I know :blush:

The other time was after eating a large amount of a particularly sweet sponge cake. I googled the KFC ingredients and came up with a sweetener called Sucralose. Also known as 'Splenda', which I gather can be used in baking cakes. More googling (I made exceptions on this occasion!) has led me to discover that Sucralose can cause side effects like bloating, dizziness and "tingling in the mouth, lips and tongue" (among many other things!)

This isn't a huge leap is it?! :shrug: I'm really wondering if I might have finally found the answer to my strange tingling mouth symptom. Of course, it doesn't account for all my other 'problems' but it's a start. I'm going to try and find out what was in the cake for sure, but I feel I might be on to something here!

Trish
12-05-10, 22:33
At last.....Google good for something!!:yesyes:

I have never heard that, but you learn something new everyday i guess.

I hope you you have solved your mystery:)

anthrokid
13-05-10, 03:57
Heya,

Good job googling for the right reasons :)
It actually sounds like a viable solution to your tingling. My little sister gets tingling sensations in her lips and mouth whenever she has some kinds of artificial food colouring or flavours. Her body just doesn't like them and they make her mouth tingly. Sounds like you're onto something :) Good luck with your further investigations, keep us updated!