PDA

View Full Version : A big setback...

Georg
13-05-10, 09:49
Hi

I used zoloft 100mg for a while starting late last year and january this year I finally started feeling better. I became better for each month and started working fulltime again and enjoying life.

Last weekend I had a bit too much to drink, and I felt terrible the next day. I did not think much of it as I was sure it would go away... but it didn't. Since last weekend I have felt worse every day. Today is the worst so far, I feel cold and shivering, tearful, anxious, chest pains, wolly head. When Im waking up in the morning I feel horrible, I have no control of my thoughts.

I'm so scared that I have now ruined all my progress, and that I have to stop taking Zoloft :(

Today is my birthday, I should feel happy but all I can think of is these horrible feelings.

Anyone here experience such a setback while on Zoloft, and more importantly if you did, did you recover again?

Guess Im just looking for some comfort, god knows I could need it...

JT69
13-05-10, 12:50
Hi Georg,

Firstly a very Happy Birthday!!! Sorry you feel as you do on such a day!!! Not fair eh?? Hope the day improves.

Dont know anything about Zoloft as am on different meds but am sure you are just having a bit of a blip and that you will get in control again. Sometimes we hve a bad day but instead of just putting it down to that end up thinking we are back where we started and things will never be the same again (that is me at the moment) but things will and do get better and then we gain more confidence from that and it pulls us in the right direction again!!

It will pass and you will settle, sometimes just takes a bit of time and unfortunately going through some crap again...there is light at the end of the tunnell.

Take care
Jo.xx

unspoken
13-05-10, 13:40
Hi Georg

Happy birthday :) even though it doesn't sound like you're managing to enjoy it today.

Being hungover isn't nice and it can make anxiety worse. Because you have been managing ok for a while, a return of the anxiety feelings feels that much worse. This is just a temporary blip. You will feel better again. I'm sure part of the anxiety you currently feel is due to worrying that the sertraline isn't working for you any more.

Have you been getting enough sleep lately? Are there other things stressing you in your life? I felt awful last weekend because I'd been overdoing it, I'd not been getting enough sleep and I'd been pushing myself to do the kind of things I used to do before my breakdown. Then I felt weak, anxious, tearful, shivery, sick and headachy despite the sertraline working pretty well most of the time. If you can, take some time out to just relax, lie on the sofa, watch TV, maybe have a nap. Maybe you'll have to wait until the weekend. You could also have a mild viral illness which is making you feel awful and anxiety builds on top. Rest is the only way to combat this. If you're not feeling any better in the next few days, make an appointment with your GP to talk about it.

Georg
13-05-10, 13:57
Thank you for your words of encouragement. I'm already feeling a tad better. My parents, my sister and her family is coming over soon I think I will be just fine :) Will post later with my progress, thanks for taking the time to answer me.

Georg
18-05-10, 13:23
Just to let you know I am feeling much better, it was only (as you said) a blip. Writing this message from work :)

It is weird how my mind can change its mindset so fast thinking that now all was lost and the feelings of utter desperation was back so fast.

Thankfully I have a very supportive wife and family, also its not like this was new to me.

I think the recipe for getting back on track for me personally was the following key factors

1. "There can be no self-pity!"

It is very easy to feel sorry for yourself when you get these feelings. I know how destructive that can be, so I arrested myself each time those thoughts came to mind. This was really hard but kicking yourself in the "#¤(&" on this helps A LOT.

2. "Do not despair, you will not feel like this forever!"

Thinking that these feelings will not go away just because they are not gone the next day is a classic one, and I think one of the biggest reasons why last year I was stuck in an endless anxiety cycle. This time I felt just as horrible for several days, but I did not allow myself to think that it would not go away. Instead i toughed it out.

A trick I find helpful is looking at myself from the outside with an objective mindset. More or less analyzing myself "Oh ok, that is an odd feeling. Why do I feel that now? How does that make me feel now?"

3. "My medication has NOT stopped working, it is NOT driving me mad!"

Obsessing on your current medication and whether or not it can help you I also find very destructive. What helps for me is to convince myself that the medication is only a mental crutch and that its not the evil-take-over-your-mind-and-body pill that your anxiety might tell you it is.

I know I am not ready to quit my Zoloft yet, I might be in a year but that's something I will figure out then and not now.

Oh and of course, binge drinking is no longer something I will do ever again :)

JaneC
18-05-10, 13:25
Good post, Georg. Glad you are feeling back on track. x