PDA

View Full Version : Ladies who have heavy periods

Lissy43
13-05-10, 15:17
Can I ask how you cope with them? Do you take anything to help (the pill, or any other meds?) or do you just put up with them?

Thanks xx

sammie23
13-05-10, 16:39
Normally if you have heavy and painful periods the doctor would recommend the pill.. When i was 11 when i started my periods they were that heavy and painful the doctor prescribed me the pill. Microgynon 30 they were called. And they really helped me. Otherwise paracetomol hun x

miss_moose
13-05-10, 16:48
I've had heavy painful periods since i was 12 (i'm now 26), they last for 8 days and i get awful stomach, back and leg pain.
I've never been on meds for them, ive never really thought to do so.
I just have to use a hot water bottle on the bits that ache, and quite often ive been reduced to tears because it's hurt so much.
Actually writing this has made me rethink the whole meds thing.

I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid in September, and recntly my periods have been a bit messed up, starting earlier than my due date and finishing earlier. My last one was only 3 days! I could so get used to that!

Not sure if it's the thyroxine that has effected them or not.

ElizabethJane
13-05-10, 17:14
I suggest that you discuss with your GP the options available to you. I used to suffer very badly and had various coils fitted plus being on the pill (both of these methods have side effects) If you are suffering from chronic pain and heavy bleeding and nausea then you might need to see a gynaecologist for further tests. My chronic pain and heavy bleeding did not get better even after childbirth I was bed bound for a few days every month. There are pain killlers that dry up the flow and also anti inflammatories such as ponstan. I have also used all number of pain killers in the past such as volterol and codydramol. There will probably be some thing that will suit you. I have also used T.E.N.S in the past but only use with medical supervision. Best wishes EJ.

Dying_Swan
13-05-10, 17:42
I agree with ElizabethJane, that you should speak to your GP to discuss options.

I have a condition called Endometriosis, and part of that is having heavy and painful periods. I've had two lots of surgery but prior to that they used to be terrible. I'm on the pill at the moment and take it for 3 months solidly, and then have a break. I've also been on Depo Provera and the mini-pill, as well as stronger drugs. As they are all hormone treatments, they do come with side effects, but once you find the right thing it's fine. I'm much better at the moment and the Pill I'm on (Microgynon) suits me. Your GP or practice nurse know you and could hopefully suggest what might be best for you, if you think you want to go down the medication route.

There are also a range of painkillers and you should discuss this with your GP. TENS is a good suggestion - I used to use it a lot and found it helpful (check with doctor first). Another thing which helps a lot is a wheat bag you stick in the microwave...you can also buy heat pads that stick on your clothing (more discreet than they sound!) which are useful.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you find something that helps.

Lissy43
13-05-10, 20:05
Thank you all.

My GP has prescribed me loestrin 20 pill, I am on my 2nd month. Before this pill I had very heavy periods, only heavy for 2-3 days, but they would gush everytime I stood up, then I would have light bleeding until about day 7-8. The pain was only bad fr the first 48hrs.

Do you all have the heavy gushing? it would happen after sitting for long periods, or after lying down mainly, but it was very annoying.

I have seen my gynae and he just said it was one of those things, and possible endo, but I didn't fancy the op.

I had a D&C in december, and I had swabs afterwards to rule out infection. It is just that any bleeding has caused me distress ever since, it is abit of a phobia of bleeding that I now have, and I just wish I could handle my heavy periods without taking the pill really. For now I will continue with the pill but there will become a time when I will want to come off it (I am 31 this year).