PDA

View Full Version : First triggering event

eeyorelover
14-05-10, 05:34
I was watching this show on Discovery Health channel called "Anxious".
It's all about these two people who have panic attacks and it follows them thru exposure therapy.
Well it works great for them altho I found myself questioning whether driving a car when you are feeling light headed and all the other panic symptoms is a safe thing but anyway....

The therapist guy tells the woman that she needs to figure out what her trigger was. What caused her first panic attack and that started me thinking.

I've never really thought about it but I had this epiphany that I am scared sh1tless of being alone!
I won't draw out the reasons here but I have been left behind a lot in my life and I started thinking about my anxiety and panic and how it's always so much worse when I'm alone!

I'm not alone very often cuz I've had 4 kids, I've got a husband and a dog so the house is usually teaming with people but since my husband has gotten a 3rd shift job, my panic has started coming back with a vengeance!

I just thought that if I wrote this out here that perhaps I could do some exposure type therapy on my own and try to experience the feelings, maybe even write them down, and then try to overcome my fear.

If anyone would like to join me in this experiment, you are more than welcome to :)

Gonna post how it plays out. I might even include some of what I've written when I'm in midpanic.

Wish me luck :)
xxx
Sandy