PDA

View Full Version : i think this is strange

Kat1984
18-02-04, 22:24
Hi,
If you have no physical symptoms as such and are anxious doctors say that it's anxiety-i quite understand that.I can also understand if there is some reason why somebody is to be anxious but for me-i can pin down why-there seems to be so many things im anxious about.

I have recently been to see a neurologist because i was getting problems with feeling unreality,faint,and feeling confused with myself,the world etc-they were actually scarey thoughts.Anyway he has said that i should see a psychirist. I do try very hard to stop these thoughts but i can't-now i feel very unsafe about mself-environment-everywhere i go seems abit strange.i mean i can't seem to look at anything simple and make it seem simple and understandable-i think i am looking into life too deeply and getting very confused but i can't see how i made myself get into such a muddle in my head.

Reading some messages on this board has helped

Meg
18-02-04, 22:56
Dear Kat,

I'm glad you've found the site helpful already

Yes its strange but true, anxiety has the most complex symptoms and most of us here can nod our heads to most everything you mention as we've all been there.

You may want to ask your doctor for a referral for some CBT or sign up for some yourself rather than seeing a psych . You're not mentally ill , you just need some help in rationalizing your thought patterns .

Read up about it on the home page.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Laurie28
19-02-04, 11:21
Hiya,

When my anxiety symptoms 'peaked' I would doubt a chair was a chair. If I done anything 'daft' I would look too far into it and I really feared I had a mental illness as I really thought I was going insane

The thoughts are terrible but you can set about changing them with CBT etc.

i used to hide things from myself incase i went 'mad' and hurt myself or others. Totally irrational but a real fear all the same. It does get better with some work and support

pls let us know how you get on

take care
Lucky

stimpy
22-02-04, 13:36
Hi kat

I'm just the same, I am very unsafe in my environment too.
Near busy roads I will become so depersonalized that I am unable to stand near them or to cross them.
I try never to cross busy roads alone.

My CBT gave me a very good bit of advice, she says if you start to become unreal or things around you start to become unreal, stamp your feet hard on the floor and touch the ground.
She calls it grounding and it helps to re assure you that you are real and you are here as you can feel solid floor underneath you.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

jonny
22-02-04, 18:06
quote:Originally posted by stimpy

My CBT gave me a very good bit of advice, she says if you start to become unreal or things around you start to become unreal, stamp your feet hard on the floor and touch the ground.
She calls it grounding

My quack tells me the same except i should sit down on the floor with my back to a wall.....if i did that in the street then i guess people would start to agree with me when i say i'm a nutcase!!! :-)

Sorry for not posting for a while guys but i have been really good just lately and i know its selfish but i am trying to stay away in case i remind myself of my troubles.

I used to be extremely indecisive but now I am not so sure...

nomorepanic
22-02-04, 18:10
Jon

Welcome back - great to hear that you are doing so well.

I am doing great too - no panic or anxiety for some time now - not sure how long but at least since before I went to Bristol!

Keep in touch ok?

Nicola

Meg
22-02-04, 20:09
Dear Jonny,

The whole idea is that we support people for as long as is needed and then they move on and not need to post or read about anxiety ! So good for you.

It would be good to know that if there is someone specific that we feel you could help we can email you and ask for your help. Like we've done with Gazz previously.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

jonny
22-02-04, 21:14
Meg,

Don't get me wrong, i am sure i ain't cured just because i have had a couple of good weeks! i think we are all a bit too long i the tooth to believe that!
I am sure i will be around this site for many years yet and of course i will always be there for anyone who i could possably help.
Guess what, i had a job interview last week and they have called me back even though i demanded 7k over their starting salary. They must really want me, they will regret that! Now all i have to do is give a presentation on what i have to offer them and i get the star prize of £25k plus company car. Hows that for a trigger!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to be extremely indecisive but now I am not so sure...

Meg
22-02-04, 21:23
I totally agree -not cured - but overcoming and coping with it all at this phase.

The balance changes though- from needing lots of support to needing less as you learn to manage to reduce the overwhelming feelings

Brilliant news about the job. What are you going to be doing ?

Meg

uryjm
28-02-04, 21:44
Of all the symptoms anxiety provokes, I've found the feeling of unreality combined with irrational thoughts are some of the hardest to deal with. It drives up the panic as you begin to think that this is the start of "going mad". Through this site I found out that these feelings and thoughts are normal for those of us suffering from anxiety, and mentally now I often think of my fellow sufferers struggling with it and it helps me calm down. You are not alone Kat, and I'm sure you'll find your way through soon.

Jim