PDA

View Full Version : Flashbacks and freaking out!

Lima
15-05-10, 13:40
I have really unmanageable flashbacks and physical memories of past traumatic events, which have recently become easily triggered by people touching me - not intimate touching, just any general touch.

I am going into hospital on Monday for an operation on my knee, but I'm really worried I will freak out or have flashbacks when doctors/nurses touch me.

Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Thanks,
Lima x

ASH65
15-05-10, 18:43
Lima x
i have the same type of experiences and i know how distressing and disorientating thay are.have you fully discussed the trauma with a professional? i think when this is happening (the triggering) then it may be a time to deal with the original events.i appreciate that may be very scary,but in my experience it is necessary at times to take a new,here-and-now look at what caused the flashbacks.i wish you much love and the best of luck for the operation.i had a similar situation and i just told the nurses straight off what may happen and they were lovely,dont suffer alone x ASH.

Lima
16-05-10, 13:16
Yeh, I have been having these problems for a few years now, so I'm kinda used to it. I am in counselling and receiving help from the mental health team.

My main concern is for tomorrow, at the moment. My GP said the operative teams aren't usually very supportive, empathetic or understanding of mental health issues, which has made me more nervous. I asked the pre-op assessment nurse to put my mental health issues in my operative notes, so they have some warning and I will try to explain it to them, but I'm not overly confident that they will understand.

How do I deal with them touching me? Are there any strategies anyone knows of that may help?

Thanks,
Lima x

Antipodes
31-05-10, 05:53
Perhaps the anaesthetist, can arrange for your pre-med preparation earlier / increased dose?.. to help you overcome the anxiety about what is involved in the procedure? If you're having a local anaesthetic something like Valium? (Benzo). They should have given you some options already about this as they would know how you feel about what is to happen. I am sorry you have to go through this and I hope it goes okay for you.

I will be having two teeth being decimated in preparation for two crowns - that's 2 1/2h and I'm not looking forward to it. Maybe that is why I am having a (quite rare) anxiety attack at this time?

Good Luck,