PDA

View Full Version : My first official post..

teamspikey
16-05-10, 04:10
Ok, so I've already made two posts, but they don't count.

My phobia is actually quite strange in a way, and it's only just really begun to get worse. I'm becoming more and more terrified that my house is going to go up in flames when I'm out (or even when I'm in, I'm always positive I can smell smoke). It's getting to the stage where I don't want to go out if nobody's home and I want to - and do, most of the time - practically run home.

I guess a seed of the phobia was planted in my mind a few years ago when my next door neighbours house went up in flames - something to do with the water tank. I went inside to try and help as they were screaming on the balcony and being inside a house that's on fire is bloody terrifying!
So anyway, does anyone think it'd be worthwhile mentioning this to my psych when I see her next? Has anyone had any similar anxieties, and if so, how do you manage?

eeyorelover
16-05-10, 04:21
Hi Melissa,
Welcome to the forum.
Yes I would definitely tell your therapist about your fear because only by exploring it and working it out can you overcome it.
I wasn't sure that I should reply to your post because my house did burn down in 1994.
It's a long story but the gist of it is, the fire started in a basement apartment and spread to my two story house above.
I had 4 small children at the time and managed to get them out quickly.
I also went into the basement apartment and carried 2 children out.
We lost everything we owned. We weren't even wearing shoes. It was 2 weeks before Christmas and all of the kids presents also were lost.
BUT
The reason that I decided to post is that I have learned that I can't live in fear that this may happen again.
Fact is that things can be replaced so even if it did, as long as we were all ok we would survive and thrive!
You are right. Being in a building that is on fire is terrifying but you made it out and you should be very proud of yourself for running in there to help!
But hun you can't live in fear of what MIGHT happen. It will effect all facets of your life and only make you miserable.
Talk to your therapist and try to work these feelings out.
xxx
Sandy

anthrokid
16-05-10, 04:28
Heya,

I would definitely mention this to your psych next time you're in. They'll be able to help out a lot in working through this fear and coping mechanisms. I have a stange phobia too, not like yours, but very inconvenient all the same. I got drugged and thougth I was having anaphylaxis when I had my first panic attack. Since then I've had this phobia of allergies and anaphylaxis. I went through a phase where I would eat hardly anything in case it killed me! A bit ridiculous because although I have a lot of allergies none are severe enough to produce anaphylaxis. it's been really helpful for me to talk about it with my psych, I can eat almost everything I want to know. Still really panicky about eating food from restaurants and cafes and stuff though jsut in case it's come in contact with something dangerous!

anthrokid
16-05-10, 04:32
Sandy that was an excellent post! It's definitely important to focus on the positives!

teamspikey
18-05-10, 00:30
Sandy that was an excellent post! It's definitely important to focus on the positives!
I agree, that was a really thought provoking post - thanks to both of you.
I have an appointment next week, so I think I will mention it, she might have some more information or advice she can give me.
Cheers again guys! x