PDA

View Full Version : A struggling 18 yr old!

mattcsr
16-05-10, 17:19
Hi all,

I've just joined this forum, but have been relating to many posts on here for a long time now. I've had anxiety troubles for a few years now, and have had anxiety / panic attacks for 2 years. The attacks aren't very frequent and I do have good spells / bad spells...
Currently, I'm on Citalpram for my anxiety which my GP prescribed me, and the dose has been changed many times. 30mg was okay at first, then my anxiety returned, she put me upto 40mg and it made me too drained and I couldn't even get out of bed sometimes, now I'm back at 30mg and on Friday I had a very bad panic attack at college and had to get my step-dad to pick me up.
My problem is that now I'm riddled with anxiety again, I cancelled all my plans for this weekend, and tomorrow I have my first online CBT course at a library which is a 25 minute journey away on the bus, and I don't think I'm even going to make that, also I have an exam this Wednesday which is already worrying me greatly... Is it worth going back to the doctor to see if there's another type of medication to try?

Thanks in advance,
Matt.

dannibarbie2009
16-05-10, 18:08
Hi Matt,
I am 21 going on 22 and I have been strugerling with anxiety,panic attacks for 3/4 years now.
I am on citalopram I was originally put on 10mg then up to 15 then up to 20 and my anixety went out for about a year. Then it returned so I went back to the doctors and I was put up to 30mg which still did not work.
I would not recommend increasing your medication from personal experience. It is quite addicitive to come off of. I would recommend other types of treatement.
I have seeing a hypnotherpaists for 4months and its has really changed. My life was normal for 3 months but unforutnatly something traumatic happened in my life and set me back, but I am back having sessions and getting my life back on track. I would really recommend them.
If you look on the internet the website is www.sich.co.uk (http://www.sich.co.uk)
Kind Regards Danielle

mattcsr
16-05-10, 19:45
Hey Danielle,

thanks for your reply + sorry to hear of the traumatic event. :hugs:
The medication is quite a recent thing as I tried seeing my college councillor, that helped but a while after it slowly came back again.
Unfortunately, the site you've shown me says Surrey and I doubt I'll be able to get there, do you think this is available throughout the country?

Regards,
Matt.

dannibarbie2009
16-05-10, 20:21
HI Matt,
They say they have clinics in Surrey,Tunbridge wells,Camberly and Harley St London.
Is that any use for you?? Maybe contact a number and maybe they could recommend other therapists with other clinics nearer your area??

I do recommend talking to family and friends as much as you can because then it weight off your shoulder. Not bottling everything up which in effect add pressure.

If you dont mind me asking what situations trigger your panic attacks anxiety??
Do you find yourself avoiding situations, and in fear of another panic attack happeneing at any moment??

If you want to private message I am more than happy to talk and share my experiences.:hugs:

Danielle x