PDA

View Full Version : Lexapro Side Effects

Kalin
02-02-06, 07:49
I just started taking Lexapro (10mg) three days ago, and I've been experiencing some weird side effects. They may be in my head and a result wishing I didnt have to take medication, but I'm not sure. I've always been very sensitive to it.

I am very shakey, to the point of having trouble walking, especially in the morning (I take it at night). It gets better throughout the day, but going up and down stairs is almost hazardous right now. Also, when I'm laying down trying to relax, I'll suddenly be very aware of only one body part, such as my arm or my stomach or my throat, and not even realize the rest of my body exists.

Is this at all normal? Is it all in my head? I haven't been on it that long, so I'm thinking it may be.

chop
02-02-06, 15:02
Everyone is different with all medications. I started aropax (Paxil paroxetine)(an ssri) again recently and the high does made me feel even more "not with it" than I already did. It was terrible, I didnt want to get off the couch and felt more anxious/depressed than before it. Most side effects go away after a few weeks and most do not get worse (in my experience and psychiatrists & chemists tell me). I switched to lexapro and found almost no side effects and a big positive increase in happiness although I started on 1/3 of a 10mg tab then slowly over two weeks I am almost on one tablet (and yes already feel great compared to before but not completely).
Take the med increase slowly and if the symptoms persist or you cant handle them, then maybe try another one.

One med doesnt work the same for everyone sadly.

Cheers
paul

nomorepanic
02-02-06, 17:20
Try these

Lexapro? Radar??? Help! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=302)

Escitalopram/Lexapro/Cipralex and feelings.. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5532)

Nicola

Phill2
03-02-06, 11:30
Hi There
I've been on Lexapro for 6 mths now . The first few weeks were a bit rough but my Dr also gave me Diazepam to "smooth" the way and now I'm the best I've been in years
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

chop
06-02-06, 09:08
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi There
I've been on Lexapro for 6 mths now . The first few weeks were a bit rough but my Dr also gave me Diazepam to "smooth" the way and now I'm the best I've been in years
Phill

<div align="right">Originally posted by jullip - 03 February 2006 : 10:30:11</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Can I ask how much lexapro you are on please? mg?
Also, how long were you taking diazepam and any probs? How much did you take please? Interested, thanks
Paul

Phill2
06-02-06, 09:26
Hi Paul
10mg/day and no probs
My Dr started me on 5mg Lexapro to start then increased it to 10mg after 2 weeks
Phill

chop
06-02-06, 09:28
Thanks, that is what I am on and I think it is helping a great deal. I occaisionally take 2-4mg of valium when REALLY needed. Did you mean you are on the 10mg of valium at start when taking the lexapro? Sorry for so many questions lol

Thanks
Paul

Phill2
06-02-06, 09:33
Yep my Dr actually put me on the 10 mg for a week to calm me before I started the Lexapro as she said I was too anxious to handle the side effects without it.
I've been on the diaz for about 6 mths now I vary the dose as the need arises but never more than 10m mg/day (5 x twice daily)
Phill

chop
06-02-06, 09:52
Cool
Thank you.

I feel better, you seem to be going well and seem like the same meds :)

Cheers
paul

P.S. Sorry to hijack the thread. Lexapro seems good and as I said, I had no real side effects so everyone is different and dont be too worried :)

Kalin
07-02-06, 02:42
Thanks for the input (and I don't mind the thread hijacking, it's actually helping me :)). My doctor also gave me Alprazalom (Xanax) to take in case of a panic attack, but didn't mention using to to deal with the side effects of the Lexapro. I'm really wary about using it even if I do have a panic attack, since I believe there is a family history of my mother becoming addicted to something like that (no one will tell me the whole story, all I know is she was institutionalized and was addicted to some prescription medication).

Phill2
07-02-06, 04:13
I personallywould stay away from Xanax. My brother just went through detox to get off it
Phill

Kalin
07-02-06, 16:28
Yeah, I think something similar happened to my mother. I have a bottle of the pills that I carry in my purse but I don't really have any plans to take it. My doctor even mentioned I probably wouldn't need them, and just knowing that I do have something that might get rid of the panic attack can keep them from occuring.