PDA

View Full Version : Scared to travel in the car

claire930
16-05-10, 22:25
hi, i am 22 years old and i have suffered panic attacks for almost 3 years now, i am due to go on holiday in 6 weeks time, its a 7 hour drive in the car, im terrified of having an attack in the car with nowhere to escape to, and im not even the driver!!!!, all i have to do is chill out oh and keep 2 toddlers under control, but it seems impossible, anybody else have a fear of having a panic attack in a car or bus etc???

thetube82
17-05-10, 00:28
hi Claire, hope your holiday is the best you ever have!!

My advice would be to try and stop worrying about the event and try to enjoy it!! try to turn the 7hour ordeal into an 8 hour pleasure, take more time and dont look for escapes......hey, wot is the worsed thing that can happen?.... you will never do this trip again!! if its bad and you have a panic attack, it will pass, simple as, after all you are with you partner and your kids and going on ya hols??!!!....enjoy!

thetube82

jude uk
17-05-10, 00:41
The fear is not so much the car but the fear of being away from your "safe areas"....The problem with "safe areas" is they become your prison and are far from safe.
One thing to keep in mind is that as your in a car you can;

1. Stop whenever you want to
2. be driven to a hospital(but I doubt you'll need that) yet the knowledge of being able to will act as a calmer
3. The person you are with knows you and will understand.

I know how feel and it can be difficult but this is a good step for you and I know you can do it because I done it at the hight of all my fears.

Truly wishing you all the best

bobby0786
19-05-10, 17:56
Hi Claire,

I also have panic attacks in the car driving or being a passenger, Im not scared of traveling, but my panics attacks mostly happen when in a car specially on motorways, im normally ok on normal roads,

Bobby

JTD
08-06-10, 22:42
I had the same phenomenon, fear that I was going to open the car door and jump out! This followed on the back of a fairly major panic attack to do with flying, which came out of the blue.

The attack subsided and didn't really recur (as time passed following the flying incident). I had similar attacks on a ferry crossing, even on a train, but those have been manageable...minor to major flutters a few weeks ago stuck in traffic on a bridge, driving, but these subsided.

Maybe take a shorter trip beforehand for exposure to the fear?

Long car journeys are enough of a hassle without dealing with the panic sensation as well...we drove from Scotland to Wales in one 10 hour trip last year with kids, but it was worth it!

Maybe a shorter trip before hand, 1-2 hours?

sedalia
09-06-10, 15:42
I think the thoughts leading up to the event are often a lot worse than the event itself.I posted this on the other thread by the lady who was cancelling her honeymoon - I developed agoraphobia last summer and we booked a holiday to cornwall a few months later. This meant a 7 hour car journey (my husband driving, not me). I got myself in such a state beforehand, worrying if I was going to have panic attacks in the car, but when it came to it I was fine. I know there's no point me saying "don't worry" because of course you will, as I did, but try instead to concentrate on what a lovely holiday you'll have once you get there. Take regular breaks and get out and stretch your legs, have plenty to drink, and as someone on another thread said, dont see it as one long journey but a series of small ones. Have a lovely time, I bet you anything it won't be anything as bad as you're worrying about, and the change of scenery will do you a world of good.