PDA

View Full Version : Do i need to give sertraline a chance ?

deb141
17-05-10, 09:56
I hope someone can offer me some advice and hopefully reassurance. I have been an anxiety sufferer for 10 years on and off, but the last 18 months have been a nightmare. I was on venlafaxine for 12 months but i felt i was not moving forward just existing. I then tried flouoxetine for a month with no luck. My GP has now put me on sertraline, which i started 9 days ago. So far i have had terrible anxiety attacks, woken up in the night with panic attacks. I am also suffering with dizzy spells, crushing headaches for about 4-5 hours following taking the tablet (i am on 50mg).
I really want these meds to work for me, as i dont want to keep going from one drug to the next. I just want to get back some calmness and normality in my life. Thanks for reading.

unspoken
18-05-10, 00:15
Hi. Different SSRIs can have different side effects. I tried citalopram but it made me feel sick which made me panic because I am emetophobic. I started taking sertraline and had no real problems except for clenching my teeth at night which gave me headaches during the day and crazy vivid dreams. I'd say you've got nothing to lose really by keeping taking it. I found it took a few months before I felt the full effect, after about 6 weeks I started to notice that when I felt low and I didn't stay feeling low for as long but it is only now that I am on 100mg that I have noticed an effect on my anxiety symptoms. When I first started taking it, I was taking temazepam to help me sleep, which helped initially in the short term. There are other antidepressants available, the older tricyclic ones such as amitriptyline, which tend to cause drowsiness rather than the waking in the night which SSRIs can cause, so might be worth asking your doctor about. I take 5mg of amitriptyline to help me to sleep which also helps to relax me.

rooby
18-05-10, 12:37
yes definitely give it a go and hang in there.
I felt the same as you and was on lexapro for 6 months only to feel no better so was changed to sertraline 50mg which i took for 4 weeks, then upped to 100mg and after another few weeks I am noticing that the panic and anxiety is really reduced.
I was not expecting it to work but like "unspoken" I was given sleeping tablets and a few valium to see me through the beginning when the side effect of anxiety is very bad. But it should get better even the headaches go with time.
All the best, hope your feeling more positive soon :flowers:

onceagain
18-05-10, 16:33
Do you know I'm not too sure, the symptoms that you are describing I got with citalopram and the headaches and increased anxiety got too much for me in the end. I change to sertraline and nothing its has been a breeze in comparison a little heightened anxiety but nothing I couldn't cope with and I knew it was coming.

Maybe such dire side effects mean we aren't suited but everyone speaks of giving them time.. but I'd say if after several months you are still not feeling over the headaches speak to the doctor... x

deb141
20-05-10, 19:36
thanks for all your replies, they do really help. Well so far so good, the headaches have stopped and i only have the very odd dizzy spell now and again. I definately feel calmer but still having anxiuos thoughts, hopefully over time this will get better i hope. I am sticking with sertraline for the time being anyway. Thanks

bellab
22-05-10, 09:16
glad your feeling better from the side effects!
I have just started back on sertaline after almost a yr off it , it really helped me in the past (more with depression at the time than anxiety) but the first few days of side effects can feel awful....I try and remember the longer term benefits and that getting thru the side effects is the way to that!
of course if they carry on for weeks/months it would be worth discussing again with your dr

take care

bella