PDA

View Full Version : New here, Hi!

Calkat
02-02-06, 14:01
Hi there,
I am a 31 year old woman married to my very patient husband and have 2 children under the age of 2.

I am so glad to have found this site and to know that I am not alone in my fear and that there is hope for me to be "normal"!

before today I just thought I was mad, but now I have discovered that I suffer from Pyrophobia, or a fear of fire, housefires in my case. It started over 20 years ago when I was 10, and a neighbours house went on fire. From that night I would actively keep myself awake incase the same thing should happen to me, and I have been known to still do this from time to time when I feel very anxious. Since having 2 babies my fear has grown to epic proportions, and my deepest worry is that I will be trapped in my home with no escape and be unable to save my children. I know this is irrational but I can't seem to stop it. Last night was the last straw for me, my DH had been watching a programme about housefires which quite honestly put the fear of God into me, I was crying, shaking, heart hammering, nausea.......I can feel these symptoms just now thinking about it.......and my hope is that one day I will no longer feel this phobia and be free to live a normal life. As you can imagine, keeping oneself awake at night is not really compatible with having 2 small children. I am exhausted from lack of sleep and I am sure this is not helping my state of mind.

I am particularly interested in the Cognitive therapy, I am curious to know if anyone has used this to good effect? I would also consider hypnotherapy. I am desperate at this point. Sick of the hammering heart and long dark nights waiting for my house to burn down[Sigh...]

Thanks for reading this far!

jackie
02-02-06, 14:15
CALKAT

i hope you feel you have come to the right place, there are many different people here but they all feel fear of something and that is what brings them together.

they fear many things and fear the symptoms that fear brings to their tired bodies, some of which you have mentioned.

i fear a heart attack for 4 years after a comment made by someone but that is a long story for another day.

i myself have 5 kids, 4 of whom are under 3 years old so i no how damaging fear is in the profession of motherhood. feel free to pm me if you feel we can help, but most of all no that the people here will help you get better if you truly want to.

also many of them have thought cbt unbelievable for their fears, im sure many of them will share their stories

all the best

jackie

Meg
02-02-06, 14:21
*I can feel these symptoms just now thinking about it.......*

Energy follows thought - so thinking scared will lead to being scared

Yes focussed CBT will help you with this. I'm sure you've got every fire protection aid in place already so need to learn that under those circumstances having casualties in a fire are hugely lessened.

Common Symptoms of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms)

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

trac67
02-02-06, 14:26
Hi calkat,

welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

take care

Trac XX

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

nomorepanic
02-02-06, 15:14
Hi Calkat

Welcome aboard. I can understand that this must be very scary for you and I do think something like CBT could help you to come to terms with it.

It will be about changing your thoughts from scary ones to positive ones that this won't happen but that will take time.

I hope you get some good support on here.

Nicola

chucklehound
02-02-06, 15:18
Hi and welcome to NMP!:D

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

vernon
02-02-06, 16:59
Hi Calkat welcome to the site I am sure you will find lots of support and help here. Take care, Vernon

sueiamnew
02-02-06, 17:47
Hi Calkat and welcome to the site.

alexis
02-02-06, 20:04
Hi Calkat, welcome to the site, there will be lots of people along to offer sound advice and I hope you get some help for this, no you are not mad,thoughts are terrible things, take care.xx

Most of lifes battles are won, by looking beyond the clouds to the sun:
and having the patience to wait for the day,when the sun comes out and the clouds go away.

love from Alexisxx

Karen
02-02-06, 20:17
Hi Calkat

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels