PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attack

jothenurse
18-05-10, 12:48
I usuallly am quite nervous in the morning and kind of gaggy. I had slept for a longer period of time last night because my boyfriend and I were watching the tv and fell asleep early. Then he got up and went home and I just stayed sleeping. Anyway - when I got up I felt a little faint and my heart was a little faster - it threw me into a huge panic attack. Not sure what happened. Haven't had a bad one like that for awhile. I thought at first I was just having a hot flash but not sure. Does this happen to other people? I took my Ativan like I am supposed to every morning, but now I am just shaking. I thought I was doing better.

jothenurse
18-05-10, 14:14
I went ahead and did what I usually do in the morning - fed the dog, took a bath, always with a nervousness because of the panic attack I had this morning. Do you think I panicked because I felt faint or do you think there could be something else going on? My doc's say I'm healthy. I do worry about the ativan I take though - even though it is through the Psychiatrist.

allergyphobia
18-05-10, 14:15
Hi, sometimes i wake up and my heart is beating really fast and my hands are shaky. This is usually when I'm a bit dehydrated, and if i just try and relax with breathing in bed and get some water or something then it usually settles straight away. I know it's hard but you need to re-train your brain so that you don't think 'the morning' you are always going to be bad: then you're going to be kind of waiting for yourself to feel bad, if that makes sense. I hope this helps, you are doing so well, don't think that this is anything more than just a very little panic attack and nothing in your big scheme of recovery!!! xxx

jothenurse
18-05-10, 14:27
Thank you for your reply. I think it started by how I was thinking when I woke up - the usual "Can't do this any more" type feeling. Then the hot flash (which I am menopausal) or the faint feeling came when I was in the kitchen standing - it seems like I can't stand in one spot too long without getting lightheaded or else at least think I'm feeling faint. Then - being by myself just throws me into a panic instead of just sitting down, taking some deep breaths. I also wonder about that Ativan. It makes me kind of dizzy and tired - but the Psychiatrist said that 2 mg of Ativan is a low dose.

flowerpot
18-05-10, 14:30
I don't know about the medication because i've never taken any so can't comment on that.

When i wake up nervy and anxious i try to combat it, i don't rush into doing jobs and such things, I have found that i need to use the time to get myself on track.

I accept that i'm feeling alittle different, and see it as that's just today, i will lie down and maybe watch some inan rubbish on the tv to take my mind off how i feel or try breathing exercises, just so i can get on an even par

I still carry a paper bag in my handbag and even if i'm not hyperventilating i will breath into it for 5 mins or so, it seems to take the edge of the panic.

The nevous and shakey feeling can bring a panic attack on in myself, I think it's because i associate that feeling with panic attacks, therefore vicious circle. That's why i've tried to stop the nervous feeling by the breathing exercises and lying down paper bag etc...

I wish i could wave a magic wand and you would feel better instantly:hugs:

jothenurse
18-05-10, 14:34
Thank you for the reply. I just happen to have an appointment with my counselor in about an hour - am anxious about driving there.

flowerpot
18-05-10, 14:39
Have you got someone who can go with you? or maybe take you there?

jothenurse
18-05-10, 14:54
My counselor likes me to drive myself - part of challenging the panic disorder.

flowerpot
18-05-10, 15:20
Yes, i can understand that, can make it a little difficult, but your councellor is right,

The only other suggestion i can make is having someone to come and meet you if it gets to much for you.

You'll probably find that you won't need to rely on them, but just knowing that they will be there if needs be can eleviate the feeling of panic i have found.

I'm just off to work soon and i'll be thinking of you , deep slow breaths and good luck:)

jothenurse
18-05-10, 20:03
I did ok driving down to see my counselor. But the panic that I had this morning has kind of kept me on edge all day. I'm kind of bummed out, because I haven't had a panic like that for awhile. My panics are usually more of the palpitations - this one I just got so scared I was going to faint or something. It really threw me - I have been doing so much better lately and I don't want this to keep me from getting better. My counselor just said that keep pushing forward, and to stop analyzing the panic attack. (I guess I do do that a lot). I know people get panics, I still get panicky, it was just such an intense one and I was by myself. I just don't want this to scare me so I stop pushing myself ahead.

flowerpot
18-05-10, 22:29
Well done driving to the councellor:yesyes: that's a great achievement:yesyes:
Just see today as a small setback, tomorrows a fresh day.

It sometimes takes me a day or two to start feeling i can deal with things and it's a bit of a shock to my system, I get that feeling of i'm not making progress when in reality i have made great progress i suppose that abit of self doubt and wanting it all to go away as fast as it seemed to arrive.

Take small steps.

Small steps become longstrides before we realise it, they inturn become giant leaps...

Talking about the over thinking and analizing it's something i do too.... Is that common with people who have panic attacks?

jothenurse
19-05-10, 14:18
Must be a common thing - I try to analyze everything, but maybe that's because I'm a nurse. The mornings do seem to be the hardest for me - I am always gaggy, feel down, have thoughts like "I can't do this any more", or because of my weight loss, I just feel that I can't get on top of that either because of feeling gaggy. I think Claire Weekes book talks about the morning feeling. It is harder for me, too, because I live alone. So, it's basically trying to work on my computer, take care of my dog, take my bath, watch tv, etc. to get my mind off of it. It's an awful feeling though, because I feel like giving up during that time. It's a constant struggle. Do other people have this too and how do you get through that period of time more positively? I may be going back to work in a couple of weeks (a very stressful job), that may help it because I will be busy, but of course it will also bring on the fear of going back to work with people saying "You've lost so much weight", and all that worry about " What if I have a panic attack at work?"
Any suggestions would be really appreciated.