PDA

View Full Version : asthma?

allergyphobia
18-05-10, 18:34
i have had a cough for about 7 months and the doctors cannot tell me if it is asthma. the cough gets bad on exersion but also when i am doing nothing, it is quite random. i have tried acid reflux medication it is definitely not that. i am now on one preventative inhaler and a blue inhaler, as well as an anti-inflammatory tablet that is supposed to settle the airways. but still the cough persists. can anybody tell me from experience of asthma if they straight away respond to medication? the inhalers etc seem to make no difference to me, and i really hope it is not asthma, i have no wheezing but do get breathless and cannot exercise because of this and also the fear of not being able to breathe... thanks

DEREKG
18-05-10, 19:30
I have a form of asthma and have done since I was I child. I can't really help you diagnose your problem but I can tell you that inhalers have always provided me with almost instant relief. Sorry I can't I can't be more help and I hope you find the answer to the problem.

IJJ
18-05-10, 20:25
I have had asthma for years. When my asthma is under control, my blue inhaler provides instant relief and my steroid inhaler is used daily to keep my asthma under control. However, when my asthma is not good, my steriod inhaler is increased and I am put on steroid tablets, this takes a good few days to kick in and I am kept on the higher dose of my steroid inhaler for a couple of months till everything is back on an even keel again. There is a lot of different inhalers available and if you do have asthma it may be that your doc needs to alter your medication to something that works better for you. I know asthma can seem scary, and is, but on the right medication it is controlable - I have had it for years and it rarely impacts on my day to day life

allergyphobia
20-05-10, 18:02
do you find with asthma you are coughing a lot throughout the day?