PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine worries

MadJam
18-05-10, 21:30
Hi! Just need some advice or answers on mirtazapine. Does anyone ever feel disconnected or like life is going on around you and your in another world? I actually feel like I'm on drugs!! My memory is getting worse, and just seem to be existing! When starting these pills 4 months ago I also experienced bad depression and unusual thoughts but CPN refused to put it down to the Mirt! I think it has controlled my anxiety and panick attacks but just don't feel myself anymore. Has anyone experienced this? Really don't like the thought of trying other medication - but at the same time can't go on feeling like this!!:blush:

ElizabethJane
18-05-10, 22:23
Hi I'm also taking mirtazapine. I am on 45mg. The feelings that you describe are common to mirtazapine but not usually after four months. It can take a while for the depression to lift but things should have settled down by now. If you see a psychiatrist it might be an idea to talk this through with him/her. You might need a different anti dperessant or in combination with something else. Starting some sort of talking therapy is always a good idea too if you are new to depression. Drugs on their own do not usually work. Memory problems are usually associated with depression and can be made worse by the mirt. If you dont mind me asking what are these unusual feelings? They could still be put down to the mirt. I think (and I know) that a journey through depression can be a painful one. We are never the same person that we were before we were ill. It never happens. I spent years trying to find this lost 'self' I kept finding fragments of myself but trying to piece them together does not always work. I hope this makes sense.

MadJam
19-05-10, 09:54
Thanks for your reply. Unusual thoughts such as taking my life - which is something I had never thought of before! I have also experienced feeling of doom which is really scary and again something i have never experienced! I think my biggest worry is that my brother is Schizophrenic and that I someday will be cursed myself with this!! I have two children and a wonderful husband and to have them ever watch me go through what my brother goes through would be unbearable! I am on the waiting list for CBT and have been re-assured by my CPN it's just anxiety and depression, but can't shake these worries away!!! I suppose that's anxiety for you!! It's nice to be able to share my worries on hear - as I don't feel I can do this with anyone else. Thank you.

rambler
30-05-10, 14:54
I spent years trying to find this lost 'self' I kept finding fragments of myself but trying to piece them together does not always work. I hope this makes sense.

Yes, ElizabethJane, this makes perfect sense! It's exactly how I also feel. I think that even if I did managed to piece the fragments together I'd have so many lost pieces....

MadJam, I have been on Zispin for three weeks now. Before this I was on Efexor for two years. I decided to stop taking the Efexor without first consulting my Psych..not the best idea I've ever had! Anyway, I've had two weeks of 15mg Zispin where I felt great. I literally went from suicidal to feeling great over night. Then my Zispin was increased to 30mg a few days ago. For the last couple of days I have been feeling exactly how you have described. The feeling of doom is so bad..I can't seem to shake it. I do feel very disconnected and like you said..in another world. I'm also feeling very adjutated. My head is stuffy and I feel tired all the time but I still can't seem to sit in one place for more than 5 minutes. It's exhausting! My body is constantly shaking and I can't stop grinding my teeth..day and night. I had a lot of these problems before I started taking the Zispin due to my depression and anxiety but the Zispin seems to make them worse. I'm due to start on 45mg Zispin next week and I can only hope that after time my symptoms will ease. I think the worst thing of all is the carb cravings. I take my Zispin as late at night as possible but about 20 minutes after taking the tablets I really really crave sugary food.

I hope your symptoms ease soon.

rambler
30-05-10, 22:33
I just took my Zispin and once again the cravings have struck. It literally feels as if I'm starving! Is there any other meds I can change to that have the same effect as the zispin but without these cravings?

MadJam
31-05-10, 16:08
Hello there Rambler!!! Thank you for your reply!! I must say (touch wood), I have felt a lot better the last week. :yesyes: I think I must be so sensitive to drugs and my body is finally getting used to this stuff!!!! I still have really strange moments. You need to keep track of how your feeling and all side effect's you are getting. The first week into starting the mirt was awful - racing thoughts, irratable, deep depression. Food cravings have only just started within the past few weeks for me - but needed to put on some weight. Maybe the increase in dose for you was not needed as you were feeling ok? Let me know how you get on. Take care x

rambler
31-05-10, 16:43
Hi, MadJam. My main worry at the moment is wondering whether the feelings I am having right now are side-effects of the Zispin or if they are because of my depression and anxiety. I'm putting all my shaking, teeth grinding, and irrational thoughts etc down to side effects when in fact the Zispin might not be working and I might just be feeling this way myself.. you know?

I'm glad you are feeling better. I must say the one good thing is that my cravings for sweet things have been a little better today..not much..but a little. :)

MadJam
31-05-10, 22:49
I know before I was on the mirt I was having the odd panic attack and high adrenaline anxiety and palpitations. I certainly had never experienced the feelings and thoughts I had during the first few weeks of being on the mirt but like you I always questioned whether it was side effects or just 'me'. I do believe that being on Cilitopran (I think thats how you spell it), prior to the mirt shot my nerves to the max and have not been right since!! I think all doctors should evaluate patients before and during any medication to be sure it is right and doing what it's should be doing. I do think it is possible for people to start a medication - feel worse sometimes, but just get used to feeling like it because they forget what they felt like before! I must say though i know of a lot of people who have felt a 100% better on medication and sometimes it's finding the right one!! x

rambler
01-06-10, 13:53
I went to see my GP today and he thinks these feelings I am having are due to my anxiety and depression rather than the Zispin. I have an appointment with my Psych on Thursday and my GP thinks she'll increase my dose of Zispin from 30mg to 45mg daily. I am really hoping that this increase will help as the feelings I am having at the moment are almost unbarable.