PDA

View Full Version : coming off Propranolol

purplepinhead
19-05-10, 07:33
Hi

Have not posted for a while but have just stopped taking propranolol 3 days ago, I was on 40mg x 2 a day, I found that with my low BP it was too much.

I am having some withdrawal symptoms but not too bad at moment, I am determined to stick with it as i would like to be drug free one day :D

Any advice on coming off propranolol, how long does it take to get out your system?

Thanks

TheWolf
19-05-10, 08:11
Hey there I am thinking of getting of propranolol too. Just wondering how long youve been taking it?

and is it better to phase it off? I am taking 3 x 10mg at the moment so maybe try 2 x 10mg...then 1 x 10mg...etc?

Vixxy
19-05-10, 10:33
The only problem I found with coming off propranalol was that I would get a lot of head rushes when I stood up.
I would say just half your pills for a week or two.

Kerry B
19-05-10, 12:04
I coming of Propanalol 40mg as the side effects have been un bearable, the light headedness and dizzy has been making me have panic attacks 3 times plus per day.

The Psychiatrist told me to reduce these to 20mg for the next 3 days to enable my blood pressure to adjust. I have taken my last one TODAY thank god.

My advice is to reduce the tablets slowly.

Hope this helps

TheWolf
20-05-10, 19:46
Ok ive dropped to just taking 1 x 10mg of propanolol today (before was 3 x 10mg). Haven't really had any adverse effects =)

Kerry B
20-05-10, 20:42
As anyone had dizzyness when come off Propanolol and how long do they take to come out of your system as I havent take one today and with withdrawals are killing me.

Going home
20-05-10, 23:54
I take propranolol too, 80mg once a day slow release. I'd love to stop taking it but its really helped my palpitations and missed beats so really don't want them to return, but its great for those of you who have managed it but to anyone thinking about stopping this drug i'd say don't come off them without checking with your doctor first, especially if youve been on them for a quite a while. 20mg for a short time probably wouldn't have much effect but a higher dose for longer might have withdrawl symptoms.

Anna xx

AG
24-05-10, 20:28
Hi everyone. I've recently withdrawn form Propranolol and have been off the meds for 2 weeks now. I was on 80 mg once a day for just over a year and it's taken me 3 months to withdraw from that dosage. My Dr told me to half the dosage on alternate days for 2 weeks (e.g 80mg/40mg alternate days) and then do the lower dosage every day for 2 weeks (e.g 40mg per day) and keep on cutting the dosage down every 2 weeks. The only side effects I've had on coming off them is occasional jerking of my hands, but my Dr said that was a normal reaction. So if you want to get off the Propranolol I recommend you give it a go, but with your Dr's help as well. I wanted to get off them because I was piling on weight whilst on them. Certainly have a lot more energy now I'm off them.

pollynewsome
13-09-15, 15:01
Check this out. i was taking propranolol 40mg for 4 years.. My doc said i could just stop taking them and there would be no side affects.. so i did and i felt absolutely dreadful.. a year later i have had to go back on them.. the doc i am seeing now said that that advice was wrong and could of been dangerous.. blimmey.. so i have since been told just taper them down gradually.. so if i was taking 40mg a day.. then tke 30mg for a few days and 20mg for a few days and 10mg etc etc.. slow and gradual.. and should be ok according to my doc.. im currently taking 10mg but want back off it.

23tana
13-09-15, 16:20
I was taking 40mg x 2 day and decided to come off them after 9 months because of the weight gain.

I cut to 40 + 20 for a week then 20 + 20 for 2 weeks, then 20 for a week before stopping altogether. I had no side effects.