PDA

View Full Version : Mental Block

Mart
03-02-06, 03:46
The last couple of years have been pretty bad for me.

I have been on and off medication (zispin being the most helpful, when the only one I really stuck at). But it got to the point where I felt that I could not carry on anymore where I was. I was living in an area where after several years the only people I knew vaguely were my work colleagues and I wouldn't really describe any of them as friends. At least not close friends. I think I was reasonably well liked, hell I know I was, but i could never seem to connect with any of them past the surface level.

And the more secluded I felt the worse the anxiety problems became (I thought I had managed to kick them) so it was a bit of a catch-22 situation as far as social headway went.

So I made a plan to go back to Zimbabwe for a couple of years, which is where I grew up. It was the only real available option with availablity of work etc.

I've sold my house, quit my job and I should be preparing to go. But since quitting I've got into a routine where I can't sleep at night (my symptoms were always worse in the evening) and I sleep during the day, not achieveing anything at all. And because of this I'm getting no social contact at all. Apart from the odd trip to the 24-hour supermarket.

I have actually booked my flight and everything but there are million little things that I need to sort out before I go. I'm not even sure that going is the right thing to do. I have got a contract lined up there and I do know people there but it feels as if I am running away because I can't cope. The question is will it be any better over there and if it isn't, what do I do then? I already feel like I'm half way (if not more) to becoming a total basket case.

I feel as if there's a vice squeezing my brain and I can't focus on anything.

heavymind
03-02-06, 04:27
Hi Mart,

In my opinion, you might be doing something correct. Infact I went back from UK to India for similar reasons. The place we grew up is where we can be most comfortable with. But running away is not always the solution to problems. There can be challenges anywhere you go. But it is sometimes alright to go to a place where we feel, we might be more comfortable.

This is only my opinion, I might be wrong.

If you choose to go, after going there, make sure that you relax as much as possible and try and get the correct stress free routine, which can help you have the least anxiety. There can be setbacks sometimes, but remember that you can come out of them and get better certainly with out a doubt. It is defenitely possible to have a life style which provokes least anxiety. Even if we slip into anxiety, it is possible to learn ways to come out of it as quickly as possible.

All the best.

Regards,

Ram

Mart
03-02-06, 04:40
Cheers Vasanthram,

Thanks for the reassurance.

All the best to you too,

Martin

heavymind
03-02-06, 05:26
You seem to be up too early in the morning for your timezone.. !!..

Ram

Mart
03-02-06, 05:57
Yeah. Its this not being able to sleep problem.

Meg
03-02-06, 14:18
Mart,

Your natural rhythm is all out.

Maybe for self protection mode or you can try staying up for the near 24 hrs and trying to get back into a more natural cycle or doing it more gently by geting up an hour earlier each day and going to be later in the day too until you are back at a night/ day cycle.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

chop
06-02-06, 03:55
PLEASE dont get angry at me for this comment anyone. This is only my experience and no doubt some will dissagree but this worked for me and helped!

I could not sleep at all a few weeks ago and tried to get over it naturally. It did not work for me and I hated sleeping pills but in the end I took them as reccomended. The anxiety was getting worse with no sleep obviously.

Not sleeping is a contributing facter that makes anxiety and depression worse. It is hard to get better when you cant sleep properly or only during the day and then feeling like you are not achieving things.

I feel so much better that I can sleep at night and it is allowing me to get on with recovery! Sleeping pills used to be addictive and terrible but they have come a long way too!

Try to calm your mind and gt sleep naturally for sure as that is the best way but if it bothers you to the point of more anxiety and need some time out then dont be afraid to try a GOOD sleeping tablet for piece of mind if really needed!

Some new ones are not addictive and do not interfere with your natural sleep brain waves. You wake up with NO grogginess etc even if you only have a nap for a few hours. I would stay away from tamazepam and the benzodiazepines for sleep as they can be addictive and affect brain waves with sleep and may make anxiety worse depending upon the person.

I am not saying it is the answer for you and if you can overcome the anxiety, you should be able to sleep at night. After all you are making a big step so no wonder you feel some anxiety but if needed ever for a short period of time to sleep to get one less problem off your mind, dont be afraid to try a pill to sleep. It certainly helped me for a short period of time and I am better for it! Now I look back and think why was I so scared to take one for so long!

P.S. I am only on them when I need them. I think if you are worried about getting addicted to something, chances are you never can be.

I used to be totally against sleeping pills. Now I wonder why I was! They are not like they used to be thats for sure.

Paul

heavymind
06-02-06, 08:24
Having some milk in the night improves quality of sleep greatly for me....

Ram

Mart
06-02-06, 13:46
Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have managed to get things back into sync. I stayed up on Friday and crashed out properly on Friday night.

Also, since I figured I wasn't achieving much here anyway I went away to visit friends over the weekend and thats left me feeling a lot more refreshed and ready to get on with things.

Martin

Meg
06-02-06, 13:55
Mart

Nice one and Well done

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?