PDA

View Full Version : Ladies please.. x

fairyclairy
21-05-10, 12:23
Heyy,

Right, this is a really awkward question.... but has anyone suffered from diarrhea whilst on their period?

Im on the pill, which has meant iv not had a period since feb.. Tues night i started with the runs and stomach cramps etc.. and then came on my period on Wed morning... but iv continued to suffer from the runs!
Everytime i eat something.. i need the loo about 40 minutes after, which means im stuck in the house! I feel crap cos iv hardly eaten and what i have eaten has come straight back out again....

Just wondered if this is because of my period or something else?
I have suffered from IBS in the past but not to this extreme...
Any advice would be appreciated, thank you

Catalyst
21-05-10, 23:13
I get this to varying degrees just about every month during my period. I'm sure there's a connection with menstruation.

LucyR
22-05-10, 00:58
Hi, Yes I get this too, a little bit.

pollyanna
22-05-10, 03:33
hi

more times than not i will get an episode of diarrhoea with my period, i also know of others who the same thing happens with.. ibs does tend to be more bothersome during a period, to do with fluctuating hormones.

like you i am suffering a bit just now in the bowel department, i am having the same problem as you, , and have been freaking out about it big time, which only makes it worse, gp assures me that its ibs, but like you have never had it this bad, but then i am very stressed and tense. Trying my best to relax about it, but very diffficult

hope it improves and you feel better soon x

mumble
22-05-10, 12:04
My IBS has been known to kick up a huge fuss during my periods.
I've had alternating between D and C depending on what my body feels like doing. It's a common problem to get a loose bowel during menstruation. Even without IBS.

fairyclairy
22-05-10, 19:33
Thank you so much guys.. im so worried about it! I just hate not knowing what is wrong with me... and i cant see inside my stomach so dont know whats going on!

The worse part is knowing i cant be without the loo... which restricts me in going out! Not been out in 4 days which is driving me mad, cos i know itl affect my panics when i do get better and go out....

Pollyanna, how are you now? Its reassuring to know someone else is going through the same thing.. its so annoying! I hate it... do you get this awful feeling in your stomach each time you know you HAVE to go, like a draggin, horrible feeling.... its horrible, im just worried incase im out and i get this feeling and cant get to the loo!

xx

pollyanna
22-05-10, 22:21
hi fairyclairy
i havent had any diarrhoea for a few days now, but have been a bit constipated now, not surprising really, i have been afraid to eat much, and it terrifies me going to the toliet,as soon as i start getting stomach cramps, i start to panic, im trying my best to relax as much as i can, i can feel all my muscles are so tense and knotted, and my shoulders are sitting somewhere around my ears!!!!! The peppermint capsules along with the colofac seem to be helping, so sticking with it for the meantime, and trying to work on the relaxation and stress , not easy is it....lol

i hope things settle down for you soon, its so horrible i know.

take care

p x :hugs:

verity
24-05-10, 22:58
About a year ago, I was having frequent diarrhoea everytime I came on my period. It was horrible I lived on Immodium!

I wasnt on the pill but I was taking, Mefenamic acid for the pain and when I stopped this it improved.

But it is quite common to get the runs when you come on, hormones are funny things. If it happens again next month then see your doctor

xxx

Angelai
27-05-10, 16:00
I get this sometimes, and can feel quite sick too. Life just isn't fair, is it ladies?

unspoken
28-05-10, 00:21
Yes I have IBS and I tend to get constipated in the days before and then diarrhoea when it starts. I have had such bad stomach cramps that I've felt like I can't stand up, I just have to curl up in a ball on the floor, whimpering. I think because it's all in the same kind of area, when the muscles are spasming because of the period, it causes the intestinal muscles to spasm too. When it's particularly bad and painful I have helped that co-codamol (codeine) helps, but not too much as it is very powerful and can cause rebound constipation. Or immodium (loperamide) can help too. I don't like to take them for IBS normally but when it is linked specifically to the period, it can help.

Also avoid things that irritate the digestive system like bran, muesli, brown bread, dried fruit, alcohol and fatty foods. Eat white toast, bananas and cooked apples (without the skin) until the diarrhoea stops. I have managed to stop IBS diarrhoea by eating just mashed bananas, it's a boring diet but the pectin really helps. Oh and drink plenty of water.