PDA

View Full Version : hi guys wondering if you could please help me out!?

randomworry
21-05-10, 20:19
hello everyone,

Ive hit a new low with this health anxiety stuff today and am finding it very difficult to cope and really depressed. Ive used citalopram in the past but am pretty sure I will need something stronger!

for those of you that are on medication could you please tell me which one you are on or have used in the past and how you found it helped so i can ask my psychiatrist if i can try any of them

many thanks everyone

randomworry

gladyscourt
21-05-10, 20:27
Hey I was on 60mg of citalopram nothing weaker worked but iv been on others for depression yrs ago However in my experiance it only masks prob. Try uping dose wot u on at mo? xx

randomworry
21-05-10, 20:40
im not on anything at the moment. the trouble is masking it may be the my only option in the state i am in right now.
thanx for the great advice gladyscourt

any other hints and tips on the medications guys?

MrsJaredLeto
21-05-10, 21:51
I'm on 20mg citalopram and I'm starting to feel quite a bit more relax but its early days on the meds yet and i am awaiting cbt as well xx

crazyhayz
21-05-10, 22:25
Ive had cbt, which is still ongoing even though im on recovery stage, its been amazing. (look into that, ask ur doc for referral!) and i take 20mg Citalopram, best one out there i think, it really does work and has least side effects.. My opinion on meds will always be the same, they are there for a reason, why give yourself a stressful life suffering everyday with c**p when u can take something to help you?? Surely thats better than feeling like death your whole life and basically ruining the one chance at life you get????! I dont care whether i take my meds for the rest of my life, my life is fuller and happier since ive sdtarted them, and thats what i care about. as long as im feeling good and my son has a happy mummy, i dont care how i achieve that.

Its the same as pain relief in childbirth, ppl say 'oh i wanna do it drug-free!' ...WHY?!!! lol!!! It's better to take pain relief as it keeps u under less stress which is better for you and babys health, and why would it be there if it wasnt guna help u??? I thank to the heavens for my medication, and my cbt, its been my absoluiter saviour. good luck xx ps. Citalopram 60mg maybe talk to ur doctor about? Highest dose u can get. xx

gladyscourt
21-05-10, 22:41
Yeah I had 60mg nothing else touched the sides lol just make sure u tlk to ur doc. Diff ppl need diff doses x x

dm.85
21-05-10, 22:57
Have u ever tried clomipramine? I have tried all different meds I would say this was the only 1 that made a difference. I can honestly say I hardly ever had a panic attack whilst on these. I cannot take these anymore due to stomach problems which just cant be helped but I would recommend to try them if possible!!

Donna

CJA09
22-05-10, 00:08
Hey I'm taking 20mg of Escitralopram, it's citraloprams chemically newer and cleaner sister! I tried citralopram and didn't get on with it, suffered side effects but haven't noticed any side effects of Escitralopram and helps keep my anxiety under control!
However medication is not the only answer! Speak to your gp about referal for theraphy! I'm also having CBT every week! Combined together, the right medication and theraphy will hopefully help you loads!
Hope your feeling better soon! :)

randomworry
22-05-10, 16:33
thank you so much everyone for the advice. im going to ask my psychiatrist about medication in a few weeks time

jothenurse
22-05-10, 17:04
I've been using a very small dose of ativan, which is a benzodiazepine, for my panic disorder. I did not do well with the SSRIs (med phobia doesn't help that either).

Jannie2948
22-05-10, 17:07
Hi there randomworry

I'm on 40mg of citalopram, started on 20mg about 7 months ago and after 3 months was still somewhat anxious so Dr increased to 40mg and I feel so much better. My Dr said that 40mg was the best dosage for anxiety/panic which is what my problem is. I also have hypnotherapy/relaxation which helps, started on once a week now down to once a month, but I have to pay for it myself, too long a wait on NHS. Have a word with your psychiatrist and see what they suggest. I also had 2mg of diazepam for the first couple of months which helped me because my anxiety was heightened in the first few weeks of taking citalopram. I don't take the diazepam now though.

I wish you all the best and hope you feel better soon.

Jannie x x