PDA

View Full Version : medication / re-lapse and Citalopram

alby
21-05-10, 21:28
Hi

about three years ago I went through a large number of major stressful events in a short time which left me with anxiety and panic. I ended up taking propoanalol and trying CBT which both helped, but in the end I took 20mg of Citalopram ; the Cit. helped and just made feel 'normal' again (no panic attacks or 'over the top' anxiety !)

I came off the Cit. last November at the same time did a mindfulness (MBCT/MBSR) course. However, over the last 6 months - I have felt my anxiety return ; and in the last few months started having more physical anxiety symptons / crying and panic feelings ; not every day but I would say 4 days of each week where not good ; and my anxiety feelings would be quite overwhelming at times.

I am married with a 2 year old daughter, and this week have reluctantly started taking 20mg of Citalopram again ; I am really disappointed it has returned, because they are starting to be impacted by my anxiety ...

I am not sure how long I should now stay on Cit now - (someone suggested a minimum of 6 months ; even if feeling good - I am thinking I came off it too quickly (was on it for 14 months) but I felt ok so thought it was time ; and took about 6 weeks in total to come off slowly.

I am intending to keep up the mindfulness practices and CBT techniques I have learnt ; but am also concerned I may have anxiety for years ; I feel really dis-heartened at the moment :-(

any advice appreciated - thanks

andrew
22-05-10, 14:15
Hi Alby,

Firstly, try not to lose hope. You recovered before, you can do again. It sounds like you've got a solid plan. Although I'd suggest you think about doing cbt again and as much talking therapy as posible. Sorry Ive no advice about the meds and dont know what mindfulness is.

Good luck, take care.