PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

SteveBrum
22-05-10, 20:12
Hi all,

I've just found this forum today following a short while Googling various key words.

Earlier today whilst driving, I found myself well...it's hard to explain, not short of breath as such, but as if my body wasn't taking in oxygen out of my lungs. The more I thought about it, the worse it got and in the end I had to pull over. My pulse was racing - about 120 bpm. Resting at the moment it's about 70/80bpm.

Now, I have had these shortness of breath things before, but never on the scale I did today. I saw my GP about it previously, when it was accompanied by chest/muscular pain - she put it down to muscle strain - fair enough I thought and it went away.

I should say I've had some dizzy spells at the start of last week, which was put down to Labyrinthitis - I have been on tablets, but no mention of shortness of breath on the side-effects list. I've also been getting a lot of headaches recently.

I'm 6ft, about 17 stone (sorry don't know the Kgs!) and have marginally high blood pressure. I've never suffered from Hayfever, but today has been quite high on the pollen count.

I'm ok at the moment, but seem to feel something coming back on when I drive the car!

Is this something other people have experienced as a form of panic attack?

All help appreciated

Steve

lior
22-05-10, 21:20
Hmm... I haven't suffered from that myself, but it does sound like it could be a kind of panic attack. You associate that feeling you had with driving which is why it comes back on when you're in the car. Remember that (unless you're allergic to something in the car), driving has nothing to do with panic specifically.

Good luck with finding out more about it!

Martin Burridge
22-05-10, 23:05
Go back to your GP. Its important to establish if the problem is anxiety related or a physical problem. (especially as you mentioned hypertension)

If your GP rules out anything physical and diagnoses anxiety then you'll find this website very useful.

If you consume a lot of caffeine cut back gradually. Whether the problem is heart related or anxiety related cutting back on caffeine could help.

Going home
22-05-10, 23:57
Raised blood pressure, even alot raised doesn't really cause breathing problems so I doubt if its connected to that, in fact unless its screamingly high we often don't know we have high BP until its measured by chance at the surgery. The symptoms you have could be side effects to meds even though breathing probs aren't mentioned on yours you could still be sensitive to them, and what you describe does sound like anxiety and panic but its always good to check these things out with your doctor.

Anna xx

SteveBrum
28-05-10, 17:34
Right, an update for you. I felt really bad this morning and another episode similar to Saturday. Went to A&E and was seen quickly due to my sypmtoms.

My blood pressure was high, 173/110 - not surprising given the circumstances (usually I'm marginally high at about 145/90) and I was given an ECG - this came back fine.

Was then sent for a chest x-ray and again, nothing wrong with that. The diagnosis - muscular pain - the same as last time I has SOB albiet without the panic.

After a look on Google it would seem the ear inflamation I have, labyrinthitis, is often accompanied by panic attacks and anxiety. So I'm seeing my GP on Wednesday to advise her of the hospital trip.

The way I see it, the muscular pain is causing my lungs to under-inflate as they were last time, when this was not such a major problem. But combined with the labyrinthitis, which makes you prone to panic, this is what has brought these episodes on.

Anyway, thanks for the words so far, I'll update further once I've seen my GP

Steve :winks:

SteveBrum
04-06-10, 14:55
Well, the Doc can't find anything physically wrong with me aprat from high blood pressure. She did say what I have experienced sounds like a panic attack.

I've been prescribed beta-blockers for a month which are used to treat both high blood pressure and anxiety. Started yesterday, made me feel quite weird after I took the first one - not unusual though.

My heart beat is down to around 48bpm at rest so there's definitely an effect, I do seem to have a lot of tight muscles in my back, chest and neck though and the occasional palputation.

Aaaanyway, I'm going to see how I get on once my body gets used to the tablets over the weekend.

Take care all.

Steve

bobobob
04-06-10, 15:19
GP visit now...

SteveBrum
04-06-10, 22:21
I was there yesterday - that was when I was prescribed the beta-blockers.

Steve

jothenurse
05-06-10, 00:07
Make sure you check with your doctor as to the low pulse - sometimes they will want you to hold the beta-blocker if it goes down to a certain number.

SteveBrum
05-06-10, 10:03
Thanks Jo, I will do

Steve