PDA

View Full Version : Setbacks?

chop
05-02-06, 01:20
I wrote a long post but didnt get much of a response most likely as it was too long sorry.

Basically, I read Lucinda Bassets book "from panic to power" and for the next two weeks my smptoms almost dissapeared (or i didnt care about them im not sure).

Then I couldnt sleep, broke down and have massive anxiety again and extremely depressed that I cant shake it.

What do I do? Strt again? Is this a normal setback but it makes you feel even worse? Am I doing something wrong? It seems to feel worse (depresion adn anxiety) than before. Is this normal. I have had to take valium the last few days which I feel bad as I have been able to stay off valium since I got anxiety 5 1/2 years ago.:( I felt good for two weeks - seemed so easy! Now I am worse than ever :(

Thank You
Paul

feege
05-02-06, 01:27
Hi Paul

I think it is quite common actually. I think it's possibly something to do with being a perfectionist... some of us want to do things so well all the time and then when things go wrong we crumple completely and lose faith.

It isn't usually easy to get over panic and anxiety just by pushing yourself really hard, maybe it's like riding a bike, if you start at the top of a hill and just speed off down it you think it's easy but when you fall off at the bottom you realise you hadn't actually been riding it just coasting! (not a bad analogy eh?) So then you have to get back on and learn to ride properly and build up your fitness and balance etc. But at least now you remember what it feels like eh?

Slowly but surely is the way to go... it can be so exciting to not feel panicky, but panic and excitement are incredibly similar feelings!

Good luck mate - you have the right attitude, just don't expect miracles!

fee
xx

chop
05-02-06, 01:32
Thank you for your reply.
I have been fighting it for years and depression has set in badly (although most people unless close to me cannot tell). I have tried everything I think and was wondering anyone thought a dedicated anxiety & depression clinic with psychs, councelors to teach cbt, therapy, medication, etc (private clinic) would be of benefit. It is extremely expensive but willing to try anything now as I feel at the end.

I know getting better comes from within but I feel I have tried everything and was wondering if anyone had tried this before or thinks a private clinic with a good name dedicated to this stuff could help kick start me again?

Thank you again
Paul

jackie
05-02-06, 10:14
paul

sorry i didnt reply. so here goes, hope this helps

if you read this book i will take it that it is like claire weekes wonderful book self help for your nerves. if it is it will have told you that setbacks are not only expected and sure to come but that they are a part of thwe healing process. the setbacks are a true test to the fact that we are letting go of our fear of the symptoms of anxiety.

for example if you just got better first go you would not no how to cope years later if the feelings caught up on you again, setbacks make you stronger in such an event.

also claire weekes teaches that if you suffer a setback you should simply apply the old method of acceptance and letting more time pass until they go again. but crucially if they begin t o return you should once again practice calm acceptance and let thaem " not matter" once more.

ask yourself are you truly acceping for if you are the return of the symptoms should not mean a return of tension or fear from yourself.

i hope this helps, get the book if you have not already got it . i no only 2 well how hard it is to really accept, i struggle with it but deep down i no that true acceptance and letting more time pass are the key to wellness

sorry for going on but i hope it helps

jackie

Meg
05-02-06, 11:14
Lucinda talks about growth spurts I think . Same as your set backs and our blips.

Common Symptoms of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms)

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=healthanxiety)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Piglet
05-02-06, 11:38
Sorry flower not to have replied to your other thread - I feel bad:(

I just want to say that I think we all hope there is a big magic key and that one day it will all be ok. Well it will be ok but there is no one key there are lots of keys.

Jackie is so right about the acceptance bit and this is one of the hardest bits for all of us but stick with it.

There is absolutley no reason not to try the CBT but don't part with lots of cash, ask around first. See if your doctor can help???

Take care mate and realise that we know were you are coming from and that we all have blips too and feel the same from time to time.

Piglet xx:)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

florence
05-02-06, 11:46
Hi Paul

So sorry to hear that you feel so bad, you're not alone.
I am going thru a very bad patch too at the moment... I was doing really well lately, until a couple of weeks ago.
My anxiety seems worst than ever, I feel absolutely drained almost constantly, I too managed to stop Diazepam , which I was taking regularly about a year ago. I've been prescribed temazepam recently just in case I have a bad night, I am trying my best to keep away from them, but as you know it, in a middle of a crisis, difficult to do so !
I really hope you will feel better soon.
Take care.

Florence.

*** Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can. ***

chop
06-02-06, 00:41
Thanks all,
I went fishing last night with 2mg (v small dose) and felt terrible and then after an hour or two I began to feel better and my syptoms dissapeared and I could breathe I realised... (The valium helped me get there but that is not what helped mainly - it was the doing and accepting). I ended up being hypo by the end of the night and extremely happy! Happier than in a long time and then I thought oh no what if I have bi polar - why am I so happy! lol... Anyway I made myself laugh at that thought and got on with it!

Anyway I had a good time and I really didnt expect to!

I came home and starting reading the panic to power book again before bed as since my setback, I have lost faith and forgoten things so I think reinforcing can only help.

Took my sleeping tablets I have been on lately as need them right now (short term) and finally actually slept for a solid 8 hours!

I think I am moving forward again![8D]

I felt better than I have in a long time so it is possible (and trust me I was bad before this - end of the line kind of feelings)..

Thanks again all for replies!

I woke this morning feeling bad and thought great anxiety is back but then I realised it was merely because I slept so deeply and have not done so for so long that it takes time to wake up lol.. Im not used to this.

Anyway, trying to change thinking again, be positive, accept feelings, take my anti depressant and slowly keep doing things I am scared of (everything) lol.

Paul

nomorepanic
06-02-06, 16:59
Paul

Glad you had a great day yesterday. It makes a big difference to how we feel when we have a good day so I am pleased to hear that.

Nicola

kimmy
06-02-06, 17:53
hello,
I think its normal to have setbacks, in fact they keep you on your toes and I believe you dont take your own mental health for granted if you do.

I believe that the fact you had 2 weeks of doing good is brilliant, the book obviously worked!! why not read it again, or read another panic book!! Ive read loads of material!!

Im a sucsess story on here, In fact i think im virtually over this BUT i do have some set backs! It is horrible, but the fact you have done it once, proves you can do it!!! your not weak in fact extreamly strong!!

If you think about it, you felt better, maybe for a little while BUT you did. Some people experience their symptoms and never get that period of calm!! I am gratefull for all who ever helped me and for all I have read.

Each-time I get anxious now, I can get depressed but i think to myself , I can do it, It will pass.

Another thing is, I did find that when I went through a time my anxiety was gone, I almost bring the feelings back again by thinking all the time and checking, "Is it there" or "Oh my god, Im shaking again" etc

YOU CAN DO IT TOO!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx