PDA

View Full Version : Intolerance to SSRI's?

loulabella
23-05-10, 15:53
Just wanted to know if there are many others out there who really struggle with SSRI's. I've tried a fair few but they send me through the roof anxiety wise and cannot eat. I know the entire worse for a few weeks before better but even now on 5mg Citalopram I am going bonkers! :(

KK77
24-05-10, 02:38
I found cit the mildest SSRI in terms of SEs (and you know I've been on loads). Also, cit is much more flexible in terms of dosing than escit. Keep going to give yourself a chance to recover. Chopping and changing without giving the AD/drug time to settle and alter your brain chemistry will make you feel worse. You need to set yourself a target of a minimum of 2 months, by which time SEs should be minimal. (Bear in mind that your anxiety isn't ALL down to the AD, although it may feel like that.)

However, as you know, 5mg is a sub-therapeutic dose and you need to gradually up to >15mg - but allow 2 weeks or more between increases.

I really hope you feel better soon, Lou.

sarah jayne
24-05-10, 09:25
Im the same. Every one ive tried ive had awful reactions to them, the last one i tried which was cymbalta made me so ill that im scared of trying any more. The only one that doesnt make me ill is amitryptiline but all it does is help me sleep, it doent work for my anxiety or pain releif :(

loulabella
24-05-10, 14:27
I am taking Ami also. Currently 20mg for headaches and I have found that over time it has helped with these. I went to 30mg Fri night and felt quite calm on Saturday so think I am gonna go up to 30 for a bit and see if it helps. I have tried Dosulipin, and it helps my anxiety BUT it doesn't have enough of a muscle relaxing effect to help my tension headache. This is why we are trying to find an SSRI I can take alongside to help with the anxiety. I took 2.5mg of citalopram for 2 days, no problem, 5 mg for 2 days, np, 7.5, np - then when I hit 10 all hell broke loose. I am wondering if I need to stick at 2.5 for a whole week not just a few days, then 5 for a week...and so forth? Does anybody think this would reduce the increased anxiety. Prob is the increased anxiety is so bad that even 5mg Diazepam cant touch it....

I feel a bit of a freak that my body cant even handle a mild dose of citalopram. :(

KK77
24-05-10, 19:08
I took 2.5mg of citalopram for 2 days, no problem, 5 mg for 2 days, np, 7.5, np - then when I hit 10 all hell broke loose. I am wondering if I need to stick at 2.5 for a whole week not just a few days, then 5 for a week...and so forth?

Although you're increasing in small amounts I think it's too quick and your body isn't getting sufficient time to adjust, especially as you're so sensitive.

Allow 2 weeks before increasing and that should hopefully help. These things really can't be rushed.

loulabella
26-05-10, 11:00
Do you mean 2 weeks each increase of 2.5 or 5? Would 2.5 per week be ok, kind of like 5 per 2 weeks?

KK77
26-05-10, 19:43
I think 5mg increase every 2 weeks. If you feel rubbish then drop back 2.5mg. I think allowing time between each increase is more important than the actual amount.

loulabella
29-05-10, 09:31
Well in on day 3 of taking 10. So far not too bad. ;)

jill07
23-07-10, 12:18
I too had bad reaction to Citalopram at low dose.... 2.5mg was ok, but then 5mg set off the worst panic attacks in my life.... awful, never again!
Went back to gp this morn and asked for Buspirone, just took first 5mg tablet so see how that goes (fingers crossed!) x

abbey10
31-07-10, 11:44
Hi everyone.

I was prescribed Fluoxetine to help with anxiety and depression about 5 weeks ago. There were no sides effects at first then on day 5 I woke up feeling extremely anxious. I was worrying about hurtful events from the past all day - it was like the tablets were opening up all negativities from ages ago. I knew that it would be the tablets taking effect and hoped that it would subside. The next 6 days I was still feeling agitated and anxious all day. I was also paranoid about seeing people even friends that I knew well. My boyfriend was very supportive and suggested that I go back to the doctor. The doctor said that in some cases SSRI's can be too stimulating for some people. I was prescribed Dosulepin due to them having a more sedative effect. I have been taking 50 mg for 11 days to start with. The side effects aren't too bad - I just feel groggy in the morning & unmotivated. The positive aspects is that I don't feel as overly anxious as I did using Fluoxetine. I don't feel any better yet but trying to be positive as I've read that they take about 3 - 4 weeks to work - just hoping that I start to feel a bit more positive about life soon. Has anyone else felt better from being prescribed Dosulepin? Really hope everyone is well. Take care