PDA

View Full Version : Switching from paroxetine and olanzapine to sertraline

sfee
23-05-10, 21:57
Hi,

I've had GAD for over 10 yrs now, and have settled into a sufficiently calm mode now by supplementing 30mg paroxetine with 1.25 olanzapine taken every other day. I would be happy continuing with this long term, but my GP is worried about me developing diabetes with the olanzapine and would like me to change from both to sertraline. But the feedback on sertraline doesn't suggest it will be that much better paroxetine on its own. Has anyone else been down this path, and what were your experiences?

Dahlia
24-05-10, 10:56
Hi Sfee

I personally found that paroxetine worked better for my anxiety - but the side effects eventually became unbearable. I was then switched to sertraline, which didn't work quite as well but was still quite good (NB my main problem is Panic Disorder, not GAD). I have since been on Effexor and am weaning/cross tapering back onto sertraline - as I think it works better. Obviously different people have different results with meds.

I take 2.5 mg of Olanzapine each night - like you, my GP is worried about the long term effects, so I'm not sure how long this will continue. I use it mainly to counteract the nausea and diarrhoea side effects I get from all SSRIs. You are on a very low dosage and not taking it every night, so I would have thought you would be ok. My old psychiatrist had no problems with me taking it long term.

Dahlia