PDA

View Full Version : could this be what I have?

Lizziesaurus
23-05-10, 22:51
Okay, well to try and keep this as short as possible I'm trying to figure out whether I'm suffereing from PTSD or if it might be just a normal form of anxiety. I had quite a serious car crash almost 2 years ago, I wasn't badly injured and walk away with only a bad back and a sore head but it could so easily have gone the other way and I know that. The part of the motorway it happened on I pass quite a lot and it always comes back to me, especially if I'm driving in the middle lane (which is the one I was in when I swerved and crashed). Also everytime I see a similar accident it brings me to tears as I get reminded of my accident. Also, since it happened I've had a few sort of nightmares, you know when you get that feeling of falling when going to sleep and wake up with a jolt? Well mine alot of the time are replaced with me being in a car accident of some type which wakes me up and freaks me out something rotten. I'd say also since then I've become paranoid about dying in some way, whether it be in another car accident or that I'll get some awful illness and die that way. Like at the moment I have a couple of moles I want checking out, I've always had them but never bothered me but now I assume I have skin cancer and Dr Google has given me a death sentence. Not sure if the 2 are related but it's getting worse and it's driving me to insanity. I'm having real difficulty in figuring out what it might be as symptoms seem to be so similar but seeing as it's been in the last 2 years I've got worse I want to go towards PTSD more but I don't know. Bloody internet :mad:

Antipodes
26-05-10, 22:41
Liz, there is much more to PTSD than anxiety and flashbacks. Being in a near-miss life-threatening situation can result in PTSD for some but not others - we're all so different. Classic PTSD "tell-tales" are hyper-vigilence, exaggerated startle response (startle easily), difficulty concentrating, short term memory, loss of interest in things you used to like and do, foreshortened future (not expecting to live long). It's best to not-self-diagnose but being informed is healthy. Maybe you should Google "DSM-IV" and look at Anxiety group of disorders but only for prompters about symptoms you might associate with. It is always important to be properly diagnosed if there is a problem so appropriate treatment course can be given. I hope you don't have PTSD - it's not nice :-(

Lizziesaurus
27-05-10, 17:34
Thank you for that, I'm going to the docs on Monday so I'm hoping they can tell me whether it's just anxiety or whatever else. I will admit though some of the things you mentioned ring a few bells :huh: I am thinking it's me just looking at symptoms and thinking 'yes, that must be what I have' hence asking here. Stupid habit, tch.

Antipodes
31-05-10, 00:05
For several years I _suspected_ I had PTSD but no-one asked me some "key" questions for a diagnosis to be formulated (and tested for validity). My experience of GP's is they are good generalists but may easily miss asking the important questions. I was suggesting you might try to be objective, look at the DSM-IV for "prompters" for symptoms and write down the symptoms you think relates to you. They will serve as a "aide memoire" (and I know how important it was for me writing down a list of things I needed to ask about - my memory and concentration were so bad). You can do no more than furnish information and let's hope it isn't PTSD. Alas, non of these anxiety disorders are pleasant. I hope the symptoms pass over quickly and you live a happy and fulfilling life, untroubled by it.

Going home
31-05-10, 01:14
I think its fairly obvious that you're suffering from the after effects of your accident, that must have been very traumatic for you and all the feelings, bad dreams and symptoms you describe certainly indicate Post Traumatic Stress Disorder....PTSD.

I also think that you can't believe you lived to tell the tale so now you focus on things like your moles...as if to say "well the accident didn't kill me but there are plenty of other things that can" Having said that, moles are always worth checking out with the doctor so its good that you're going to see him/her. There's also no time limit on your feelings about this accident mentally. Have you thought about talking it through with a counsellor maybe?

Anna xxx