PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick of people calling me an attention seeker

Misstwentyone
24-05-10, 14:08
I'm sick of people calling me an attention seeker because I find it hard to get excited about stuff due the depression and anxiety. It really annoys me how people can't understand this stuff unless they are going through it :mad:

DEREKG
24-05-10, 14:16
Certain people I know have suggested that I've been acting when having a panic attack. It can be annoying, frustrating and hurtful so here you go... :hugs:x

StoneMonkey
24-05-10, 16:20
Big Hugs. We hope people will make allowances and be supportive.My experience in the male world is it would be seen as a weakness to be exploited unfortunatley.I try to conceal mine as much as possible.My closest circle of friends are are very supportive but i only share when desperate.This is the place that you can really say how it is.Simon.

Mr.D
24-05-10, 16:39
I agree with you completely.. i hate it when people presume im lying.. my own parents didn't believe me for so long.

eeyorelover
24-05-10, 19:30
It's impossible for anyone to understand how debilitating anxiety,depression, and the like can be if they have never experienced it.
That being said, I can't understand not being supportive whether one understands it completely or not.
I guess the fact that there are shows on the TV and articles appearing more often will bring greater insight to some of those who tell us to 'just get over it' or call us 'attention seekers' or 'liars'!
Maybe showing these to the people we care about will show them that we aren't alone in feeling this way and that it isn't a weakness or made up illness!
xxx
Sandy

Misstwentyone
24-05-10, 21:32
Thank you everyone you don't know how long I've been looking for someone to be so supportive :emot-crying: thank you! :bighug1:xx

Ronny
25-05-10, 07:19
I understand what you mean,for many years I was told to Get up and do something there is nothing wrong with you,which made me feel worse.It was not until I was diagnosed with a Thyroid condition that friends and family started to understand what Iwas going through.I was always told that there was nothing wrong with me it is all in your head,I still laugh at that one...HELLO..der.:D
Rhonda x

Going home
25-05-10, 16:22
Have you always suffered with anxiety and depression or only since you had the baby? Could you still be suffering with post natal depression do you think? and have you talked to anyone about how you feel, a doctor etc?

Anna xx

Misstwentyone
30-05-10, 23:40
No I have had anxiety for 7 years but my relationship got messed up when the baby came along :(trying to work it out now but to be honest with you I think we have been through too much and I'm not sure I want to even work it out :( xx

ASH65
31-05-10, 21:15
an interesting one, i think people make a judgement about what you seek attention for.a doctor,a very judgemental one,once said to me "if you go to casualty for a panic attack,every time you have a panic attack you will go to casualty" my 3 year old has more intelligence than that doctor.anyway, i said to her "does that mean if i break my ankle,and go to hospital,every time i break my ankle i will go to hospital" she was a bit annoyed as i made her words sound as stupid as they were.maybe,honey,you need some attention which you fully deserve.