PDA

View Full Version : mirtazapine to citalopram?

davegmatthews
24-05-10, 14:25
hello all first post for me.
i have been on mirtazapine for almost two years to stop the panic attacks/depression/mania which was ruining my life.
they have helped a lot but i am finding it difficult to get off them. just reducing my 30mg pill by an eigth seems not to be possible without reoccourence of all of the above.
As i have not been able to drink at all with the mirtazapine, my social life is in tatters. i have never had a drink problem, but having the occasional pint may help me be normal:roflmao:.
also on the mirtazapine i have had muscle pains when trying to go surfing etc, which is also stopping my fun.
the third reason i would like to get off them is i don't feel that i need the sedation anymore.
so with my doctors help i am about to try to switch on to citalopram.

has anyone switched this way? what should i expect to happen? is the sexual disfunction noticeable on 20mg citalopram?

and help or experiences you would like to share are welcome:yesyes:

ElizabethJane
24-05-10, 16:15
Hello there I am currently taking 45mg mirtazapine without its sedating qualities. I also enjoy the occasional glass of wine with no ill effect. I have also successfully and unsuccessfully come off mirtazapine. If the panic attacks and depression return as soon as you try to come off them then maybe you need something to help with the transition? I have had terrible side effects when I tried to come off them including terrible anxiety panic depression sleep walking and hallucinations. It can be done however if you take it very very slowly. I had valium prescribed as well to help me. Maybe your GP will cross taper ie introduce the new drug whilst you are still taking the mirtazapine. My depression was severe enough that I needed to come go back on them again. The only consolation is that the withdrawals will end. For me they when on for about two weeks. I have no experience of citalopram. EJ.