PDA

View Full Version : Why are we so hard on ourselves? help

jothenurse
24-05-10, 15:04
I just got done going to the store for groceries. As we all know, for people with a panic disorder, this can be quite difficult. I have also decreased my ativan dose, so am a little more nervous with that also with the thought I may be going back to work within the week.
I did make it through the store, but waiting in line I started to get palpitations. So, instead of thinking, hey, I did get my groceries and I got through it, I'm more like, why do these palpitations start? Why do I have such a hard time doing such a simple thing? Then I think about, how am I going to survive at work - because let's face it, I'll have nervous moments there and probably some palpitations and panic attacks. I feel like crying.

Brunette
24-05-10, 15:29
Hi jo,

Don't beat yourself up about it. The good thing is that you already realise that thinking more positively would have helped you feel better about the situation you were in.

Now you have to practice nipping those negative thoughts as they actually develop
and turning them into something more positive - just like you did when you had time to think about it a bit later on.

It will get easier, I promise.

gypsywomen
24-05-10, 15:44
just think you did get your shopping you didnt give in to the feeling and thats great

StoneMonkey
24-05-10, 15:46
Good job at the store jo.Its the same for me every time.
Its that moment when you have to stop moving.
You can be fine driving but uncomfortable at traffic lights.
Going back to work might be uncomfortable but if you can throw yourself in and get through the first bit you might be pleasently suprised and proud of yourself.
Good luck Simon.

jothenurse
24-05-10, 15:47
Thank you.
I have been through a panic disorder 30 years and I know how you have to challenge your fears (like going to the store, back then going to college), - I was also on Serax back then (a benzodiazepine), which helped like the little Ativan I take now, but doesn't stop the panics. I know I have to be more positive and say - ok, so you had some palpitations, but you stuck with it and you got the groceries. I am 56 now. I know the last time I went through this I had lots of anxious moments doing the things that made me nervous, but I also know that in time, the more you do it, the more confidence you get and the anxiety will lessen.

Rory23
26-05-10, 22:52
I just got done going to the store for groceries. As we all know, for people with a panic disorder, this can be quite difficult. I have also decreased my ativan dose, so am a little more nervous with that also with the thought I may be going back to work within the week.
I did make it through the store, but waiting in line I started to get palpitations. So, instead of thinking, hey, I did get my groceries and I got through it, I'm more like, why do these palpitations start? Why do I have such a hard time doing such a simple thing? Then I think about, how am I going to survive at work - because let's face it, I'll have nervous moments there and probably some palpitations and panic attacks. I feel like crying.

Try not to worry about your sympotms. They happen so let them happen, its the constant worrying that makes everything worse. Ive suffered from panic attacks whilst talking to people, being asked questions, introducing people, interviewing etc. And they've all been because ive suffered from self-doubt,and ive gotten into the habit of thinking, you could panic here. But the reality is that it will happen if you keep thinking about it. If its happening anyay then you might aswell accept it and move on.

Although it feels absolutely horrible,the trick is to just let it go. Although this is obviously the hardest thing to do because of the feelings associated with Panic. But again, accept that its happening and try and speak to tyourself positively, and things should improve. Dont beat yourself up if it doesnt happen straight away

jothenurse
27-05-10, 01:32
Thanks.