PDA

View Full Version : Doctor coming to visit

andrewjdavid2005
05-02-06, 18:50
I made a claim for disability living allowance in september and next weekend i have a doctor coming out to see me and i am dreading it.
The thing is the doctor is coming to ask how anxiety/asthma etc effects me but the thing is there is not much to see on the outside and that worrys me because the doc might think that i am a normal healthy person and his opinion and what he puts affects my claim on whether i get the benefit or not, plus i am nervous i do not trust doctors as it is nevermind one coming into my home and examining me.
I don't know how to go about it or anything so i am abit worried.

alexis
05-02-06, 19:47
Hi andrewdavid, the dr will only write the truth, he will be experienced and know about anxiety etc.
It isnt worth getting worried about it because there is no preparation necessary, just act yourself then if you are entitled to the claim you will get it, have you accepted now you have anxiety as I know you were struggling with it.
I have never had a dr to the house for me but our son was on attendance allowance which I believe is the old version or similar of disability allowance, and the assesors who came to him over the years were fine.
Hope you have a good week.

Most of lifes battles are won, by looking beyond the clouds to the sun:
and having the patience to wait for the day,when the sun comes out and the clouds go away.

love from Alexisxx

andrewjdavid2005
05-02-06, 19:55
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi andrewdavid, the dr will only write the truth, he will be experienced and know about anxiety etc.
It isnt worth getting worried about it because there is no preparation necessary, just act yourself then if you are entitled to the claim you will get it, have you accepted now you have anxiety as I know you were struggling with it.
I have never had a dr to the house for me but our son was on attendance allowance which I believe is the old version or similar of disability allowance, and the assesors who came to him over the years were fine.
Hope you have a good week.

Most of lifes battles are won, by looking beyond the clouds to the sun:
and having the patience to wait for the day,when the sun comes out and the clouds go away.

love from Alexisxx

<div align="right">Originally posted by alexis - 05 February 2006 : 19:47:26</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Thanks for your reply alexis, i think i will just tell the doctor all the symptoms i have etc and hope for the best, the only thing that has been worrying me like i said is the fact anxiety does not show much on the outside of a person it is mostly inside and how you feel etc but i will just tell him how i feel everyday and how it effects me and hope for the best i think.

tara
05-02-06, 20:45
Hi the doc will have a number of questions to ask you about your and how your illness affects you and your daily life. I have been to one, i didn't have a visit but i would imagine it's the same thing. He'll also give you options on answers, well mine did and were all very relevent to my illness. Theres nothing to worry about. Hope it goes well and please don't worry yourself. Take care Tara x

Wannabeloved85
05-02-06, 20:52
hi andrewdavid,
My mum claims this, and me too, ive not quite got to the dr appt, but its close! my mum on the other hand, has had them out twice and to her dismay, the same dr!
Myself, i hate visitors etc and mum's not so keen, but with this specific visit she was worried, the same way you are! There wont be an examination, a judgement or any funny looks. He/she simply asks a few questions and goes on his way. Because the illness is known as a mental illness, your looks/behaviour will not be an issue. remember he is a dr! he'll know all about this illness!
Hope this helps
Beccix x x

Henry_Rollins
05-02-06, 21:30
I am amazed that Doctors still come and make visits in your country! The lazy *******s in America NEVER make house call's or visits. That is a thing of the past! Everyone is sick and stressed out in America. They are too busy perscribing meds at the office!

nomorepanic
05-02-06, 21:35
Andrew

What did you put on the form as being the problem for disability allowance? Do you currently get it?

You do know they are clamping down now and want people to go out and find jobs etc so they will get harder I think.

Nicola

Wannabeloved85
05-02-06, 21:51
lol henry, trust me, if its from the social, theyre out! a normal gp....now thats a whole new topic!!!

andrewjdavid2005
05-02-06, 21:59
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Andrew

What did you put on the form as being the problem for disability allowance? Do you currently get it?

You do know they are clamping down now and want people to go out and find jobs etc so they will get harder I think.

Nicola

<div align="right">Originally posted by nomorepanic - 05 February 2006 : 21:35:03</div id="right">

I don't get it, this is the first time i have claimed for it, i put down severe asthma and anxiety down for the reasons for claiming.
I think that the fact a doctor is coming out means they are definatley considering awarding it to me but will have to see what happens.

nomorepanic
05-02-06, 22:26
Asthma is really controllable nowadays - if yours is bad then you are on the wrong meds. It should not be that bad that you can't work. I have it too and it is controlled with inhalers.

As for anxiety - you said that was not a diagnosis from doctor so why did you put that.

Nicola

andrewjdavid2005
06-02-06, 18:26
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Asthma is really controllable nowadays - if yours is bad then you are on the wrong meds. It should not be that bad that you can't work. I have it too and it is controlled with inhalers.

As for anxiety - you said that was not a diagnosis from doctor so why did you put that.

Nicola

<div align="right">Originally posted by nomorepanic - 05 February 2006 : 22:26:40</div id="right">

Well no doctor has ever turned round to me and said that i have anxiety but they must think that to put me on anti-depressants.

nomorepanic
06-02-06, 18:52
AJD

When the doctor comes out to assess you ask for his professional diagnosis on what you have - it may reassure you.

On a different note have you sorted all the problems at the surgery and found a new one that you are settled with?

If so then I would seriously consider asking for a CBT referral as well.

Nicola

trac67
06-02-06, 20:40
Andrew,

Just because your doctor put you on anti-depressants doesnt automatically mean he thought you had anxiety, anti-depressants are also used to treat depression, hence the name.

Trac x

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

andrewjdavid2005
06-02-06, 21:17
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Andrew,

Just because your doctor put you on anti-depressants doesnt automatically mean he thought you had anxiety, anti-depressants are also used to treat depression, hence the name.

Trac x

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

<div align="right">Originally posted by trac67 - 06 February 2006 : 20:40:34</div id="right">

Well he must have thought i was suffering from either anxiety or depression, i remember it well it was may 2004 i had some blood tests nothing was found, no real explanations were given to what was causing my symptoms and i was just put on anti-depressants.

andrewjdavid2005
06-02-06, 21:20
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">AJD

When the doctor comes out to assess you ask for his professional diagnosis on what you have - it may reassure you.

On a different note have you sorted all the problems at the surgery and found a new one that you are settled with?

If so then I would seriously consider asking for a CBT referral as well.

Nicola

<div align="right">Originally posted by nomorepanic - 06 February 2006 : 18:52:23</div id="right">

I doubt i will ask his professional diagnosis because he would not tell me anything as he is only there to assess me if i ask him his opinion he would give a typical doctor response and say go and see your own GP about it.
I sorted out all my problems and left that other surgery, i have been registered at this new one for quite a while now but have never been there things that have happened have really put me off going to see the doctor, i don't have much faith/confidence in doctor's anyway to be honest i have had too many bad experiences with them.

nomorepanic
06-02-06, 21:31
Oh Andrew that is a shame cos they are not all bad - I have found a lovely one that I trust and he is really helpful and supportful

I am sure you can find one like that too.

It is still a good idea to go and see them - promise me you will?

Nicola