PDA

View Full Version : Best meds for anxiety???

JT69
24-05-10, 19:09
Wondered if anyone has any advice on the best AD for anxiety. I am currently taking mirtazipine 30mg and have been on this med for 4 months now, it has helped with the depression but I find I am experiencing anxiety in the mornings on waking which has become troublesome and lingered throughout the whole day on some occasions lately. I am due see my GP tommorow to talk about it and some people on here have suggested asking for a different type of AD to take along with the mirtazipine...I am not sure what my GP will think regards to this but any advice help would be appreciated??? By the way I have taken diazepam on and off but find this does not really help. Thanks JO.

KK77
24-05-10, 19:22
You can take another psychmed along with mirtazapine but it's really hard to recommend anything Jo. These things are really trial and error, but speaking from my own experience, I have found pregabalin very effective. It's an expensive med and a lot of GPs don't like to prescribe it but it's worth a try. It's licensed for anxiety in the EU and is related to gabapentin (an anticonvulsant drug). Have a read of the pregabalin forum.

Another option is buspirone which isn't related to benzos or SSRIs. Again this drug is licensed for anxiety. There is also trazodone which some people find useful for sleep and anxiety.

I don't want to confuse you as there are so many options apart from the standard SSRIs, so discuss them with your doctor and good luck.

verity
24-05-10, 21:56
I have found that Buspirone has really helped.

linworth
25-05-10, 15:52
Hi Jo,

just wondered how you got on at the doctors? hope you got the answers you needed.

take care lynne

JT69
25-05-10, 18:27
Hi Lynne,

Just got back from GP's and he prescribed pregabalin, I talked through things with him and asked him about this drug and he said we would give it a try....so lets keep our fingers crossed it will help me. I had a pretty good day today so half wondered wether to cancel my appointment but have not been anxiety free since becoming ill, even though it is often just troublesome in the mornings. He said my counselling (CBT) sessions should come through soon too so that should help. Thanks for asking. Hope you are doing o.k?
Jo.xx

JT69
25-05-10, 18:28
Hi Meloncholia,

Thanks for your advice...GP was happy to prescribe pregabalin so will let you know how I get on with them....lets hope it does the trick.

Take care.
Jo.xx

Jannie2948
25-05-10, 18:35
Hi Jo

I'm glad you have been given the meds you wanted, let's hope that they help you get rid of the anxiety that you are having in the mornings. I've only ever take citalopram so I couldn't comment on any other meds, apart from a low dosage of diazepam in the first couple of months. Let me know how you get on with them. Hope your CBT comes through soon as well. I find mine very helpful, but I mainly have hypnotherapy/relaxation along with a good chat and put things into perspective. I do think it helps though, sometimes it is good to talk to someone who doesn't know you from Adam and my therapist is so nice I find that it helps me. I started on once a week and am now going once a month. Couldn't get it on the NHS so have to pay for it myself, but I think it is worth it if it helps :-)

Hope you soon start to feel much better.

All the very best

Jannie x x

KK77
25-05-10, 18:41
Hi Meloncholia,

Thanks for your advice...GP was happy to prescribe pregabalin so will let you know how I get on with them....lets hope it does the trick.

Take care.
Jo.xx

I'm glad your doc prescribed this for you. I don't take it for anxiety but have found it's definitely helped that too. What dose have you been started on?

Good luck with it, Jo, I hope it helps.

linworth
25-05-10, 19:22
Hi Jo

glad it went well and you have had a good day ! work ok today, woke this morning with a start at about 6, then just couldnt get back to sleep, as if something is jolting me. Got to work ok, started off a bit iffy, feelings that something was terribly wrong, then was ok. on the cautious side i got my sister to pick me up and went to collect the children from school, just feel like i am treading on egg shells with myself at the moment, also felt low when i got home, but i Know it will go. On the positive, no tears at all :) have a good evening, my counselling tomorrow, i will let u know how it goes
take care lynne

JT69
25-05-10, 20:05
I'm glad your doc prescribed this for you. I don't take it for anxiety but have found it's definitely helped that too. What dose have you been started on?

Good luck with it, Jo, I hope it helps.

Hi Melancholia,

GP gave me 50mg, I have to take one daily for one week then twice a day for a week then three times a day....see how it goes. Jo.xx

Ronny
25-05-10, 22:13
HI Jo....I take a drug called Lexotan,it really helps me I used to also take Avanza,but found that made me to groggy in the mornings so I stopped it.I also had CBT and it worked for me.I hope the tablet you are on helps you...Take Care:D
Rhonda