PDA

View Full Version : heart fast after eating - HELP

jothenurse
24-05-10, 21:12
I tend to have problems with a fast heart rate with my anxiety - but it does always seem to go fast after I eat something. (around 100). Usually if I distract myself and do some deep breathing, it'll come back down. But it is very uncomfortable and it scares me because I don't want to panic and then it goes real fast and I've ended up in the ER with it - then the MD says there's nothing wrong with my heart - it's a panic and just take some deep breaths when it happens.
Does anybody else have problems with this? What helps?

verity
24-05-10, 21:38
My aunty has had that, she sat down to eat something and then just came over all hot shakey and panicky.

Im not sure why and dont think she knew why either but your not alone.

Do you have any anxietys about eating, i.e. putting on weight or choaking?

gladyscourt
24-05-10, 21:41
Hey, that can be quite common even with people who dont suffer from anxiety. Try not to worry about it. the more u think about it and feed the fear the more it will beat faster. xxx

xBettyBoopx
24-05-10, 21:49
Hi

I did a post on this as I get this a lot:mad:

Here is a link that I found, I've saved it to my favourites:D
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Heart-Disease/Tachycardia-after-eating-a-heavy-meal/show/253644

It's perfectly normal apparently for the heart to beat faster after eating as the body digests the food. Also the fattier the food the more the heart will beat faster.

I hope this helps, try not to worry, I have had it now for about 18 months on and off.

Els
xxx

jothenurse
24-05-10, 22:25
Thank you for your replies. It is something that has happpened since I started the panic disorder. It scares me, so I even get afraid to eat sometimes. It happens even if I eat a small amount. I used to be on beta blockers for rapid heart rate with the anxiety, but the cardiologist said he does not use those for sinus tachycardia. He said my heart (after about 4 ER visits and EKG's) was very healthy. I think this may happen in many people after they eat, but they just don't dwell on it and it doesn't make them panicky.

stressedmelissa
27-05-10, 21:58
Hi, I have suffered from this for about 4 months and I am just so sick of it! its good to know that other people have had this as my Doctor just thinks I am nuts! I am due to have a 24 hour ECG and see a endo crinoligist soon! I do have GAD also but this is something else im sure! I feel for you all as this is horrible!