PDA

View Full Version : coming off cipralex

andrewjdavid2005
05-02-06, 20:00
Has anyone on here come off cipralex and if so how long does it take to come off them? i am on 10mg and i am looking to come off mine i know i will have to drop down to 5mg first but how long do you have to stay on 5mg for until you can just not take anymore pills?
And has anyone experienced some bad withdrawal effects coming off them?

tara
05-02-06, 22:05
Hi, I have recently come off them and it took me a good 3 months to come off them but it was only when i felt i was totally ready and in control if things that i decided to come off. I had tried once before but wasn't really ready it was just a decison i took.
I didn't have a great time time comming off them but knew that i didn't need them any more so i was determined to do it.
While i was taking them they deffo helped me, but now i feel strong and in control i no longer need them.
I deffo had some horrid mood swings, happy to depressed to aggressive, wether that was just me comming out who knows lol.
I think that if you feel you no longer need them anymore then the decison is there to come off them but get as much advice and support as you can get to help you. Take care Tara x

trac67
05-02-06, 22:29
Andrew,

Just one question - Why are you thinking of coming of the meds when you are still posting about how bad you are feeling?

Would it not make more sense to wait until your anxiety is under control before you stop the meds?

Trac x

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

darkangel
06-02-06, 17:46
Andrew

I totally agree with Trac - I have just replied to one of your other messages where you seemed to be have difficulty dealing with your anxiety symptoms that I am amazed to read this message saying you want to reduce your meds.

Try to take one step at a time Andrew. Once you can learn to live with anxiety more you will find it easier to reduce then you can talk to your GP about reducing your meds.

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

alexis
06-02-06, 18:09
Andrew, everybody is different and your GP will advise about coming off, whatever you do dont do it alone, Ive just made that mistake.Take care.xx

Most of lifes battles are won, by looking beyond the clouds to the sun:
and having the patience to wait for the day,when the sun comes out and the clouds go away.

love from Alexisxx

andrewjdavid2005
28-02-06, 00:42
My new doctor wants me to come off this medication as she says that i have been on it too long now (only 20 months or so).

andrewjdavid2005
28-02-06, 00:59
I would like to see how i feel etc when coming off the pills, i might feel better or i may feel worse, but it looks like my doctor is going to start weening me off the pills soon over a gradual period of around 3-5 months.

trac67
28-02-06, 10:39
Hi Andrew,

Good luck with coming off the meds, as long as you follow your doctors advice I am sure it will be fine hun.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

andrewjdavid2005
28-02-06, 21:54
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Andrew,

Good luck with coming off the meds, as long as you follow your doctors advice I am sure it will be fine hun.

Take care

Trac xx

<div align="right">Originally posted by trac67 - 28 February 2006 : 09:39:53</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Thanks for the reply trac67 :) i am abit worried of whay symptoms of might get when coming off like withdrawal etc but hopefully it will be ok.

nomorepanic
28-02-06, 21:57
Andrew

Do it very slowly and take your time. There is no rush is there.

In the meantime look at what needs improving in your life to help you cope when you come off.

You need to make lifestyle changes now so it will be easier.

Nicola

Maeve
14-06-06, 23:55
I started taking Cipralex about a year ago. Before that I had been presecribed Venlafaxine (been taking that since 2002) but was taken off it by my Doctor because there was a scare that it might cause heart problems
I told my Doctor about three weeks ago that I would like to start comming off anti-depressants altogether. He asked me if I had been feeling better for at least six months and I said that I had.
My withdrawal programe for the 10mg tablets is :
one tablet every other day for three weeks
one every three days for two weeks
one every four days for a week and then stop.

I am just comming to the end of the first three weeks and I have found that if I have felt irritable it is on the days that I have taken a tablet . The days I havn't have been okay!
My partner told me that I have a been a little agressive at times and I have felt very tired but again on the tablet taking days!
Apart from that everything has been fine - so far!

My neighbour has been on anti-depressents for a while and he decided to just stop last Summer without telling his doctor.
Big mistake!! He became angry and agressive with his family, including the dog, and just had such a bad time that his wife told him to go back on the tablets which he has done. I feel really sad for him because if he had gone to his GP he probably would have been okay by now.
I have read quite a few reports that have said Cipralex is one of the easiest anti-depressents to come off. I hope that helps anybody who is having problems.
The Cipralex instructions on my box suggested comming off the tablets in a two week withdrawal programme but I would advise anybody to take at least six weeks. If your GP doesn't advise you to do this then find another GP!
Good luck to everybody on here. It's great to find a forum like this.

amyy
10-07-08, 21:45
Hi I have been on cipralex for the past 2 months, I started off on 10mg which was increased in week 2 to 20mg which I have been taking ever since. I first started on prozac which I was on for 3 weeks but suffered terrible side effects from, so this is why the medication was changed to cipralex. I found that help from my psychiatrist absolutely atrocious, and felt that when I needed to get in touch with her I never could. I saw her twice in the duration of 6 months. After feeling no better after 8weeks along with many sideeffects I was experiencing and the lack of help I was receiving from the psychiatrist I decided to come off the tablets immediately and try to cure myself. I'm also still in my teens so it felt wrong to be taking medication at such a young age. I have been off the tablets just over a week and feel absolutely awful. I feel panicky and have bad shakes in my hands, I have cramps in my arms and legs, a very sore head and feel nauseous. I also am very tearful, dizzy and having mild hallucinations. It feels like being on a constant bad trip. I know I shouldn't have cut out the tablets like this right away, but please tell me these withdrawal symptoms will eventually pass?

Big
13-08-08, 21:18
Maeve,

I was wondering, do you feel better after you stopped taking (and withdrawls
had ended) Cipralex, then you did before you started taking it.

The reason I ask is I'm wondering if it the drug can permanently restore
your brain chemistry to a more balanced level.

What is the motive to stop using the SSRI's?

Cheers,

nomorepanic
13-08-08, 22:37
Big - you may be better starting your own thread as this one is very old now

Welcome aboard anyway