PDA

View Full Version : pulse in both arms

Dazza
25-05-10, 14:49
Symptoms, symptoms, symptoms!!!!

Like many people here, i get many symptoms. Not sure if anyone else has had this one? I've had it a few times over the past few weeks.

I was on my bed, and suddently felt like a pressure in both my arms, and could feel the pulse beating strongly inside my arms (I mean without touching my arms with my hands, I could feel it inside, like u can feel your stomach rumbling, i felt my pusle inside my arms). My pulse was normal speed, but felt my heart pound bit harder than usual. It lasted for a few seconds, then my left arm and hand went numb (not totally) my left fingertips have been a bit numb since.. I've of course convinced myself that it was a small heart attack, that i've got a clot travelling around me and that this time it made it through the heart but that next time it might be the final time!!!!!

Have you had this before?!

borup
31-05-10, 18:18
yes i have had those feelings. its not a blood clot :) funny stuff about these symptoms is that they only accour when paying attention to them. i can go all day not having anything, then the split second i remind myself of this lousy anxiety, it knocks on the doors and says hello. almost like revenge sometimes for not paying attention to the symptoms. we'll be fine :)

gypsywomen
31-05-10, 18:39
you musent think that way ,, thik happy thoughts ,, dont think the pulse in your arms is going to harm you i would be more worried if you couldnt feel your pulse you must have a strong heart chin up

RLR
01-06-10, 01:11
Well, you can relax. Your symptoms would be entirely inconsistent with a thrombus, or "clot," or heart attack.

The sudden sensation of pressure in these instances is produced when blood pressure takes a small downward spike into the realm of hypotension. The number one function of adequate blood pressure is to maintain perfusion to the brain. Small baro-receptors in the carotid arteries detect changes that might indicated a direction toward reduced perfusion. Feedback is sent to the cardiac center in the brain to correct the imbalance.

The absolute fastest method by the body to correct the circumstances is to increase cardiac force, which you sense as "pounding heart." Peripheral vasoconstriction also occurs and tends to produce the pressure sensation. The numbness is simply due to brief paresthesia and not the type of numbness associated with ischemic cardiovascular events, which by the way also produce weakness.

Realize that this can commonly occur in persons with anxiety or stress. These brief physiological changes do not constitute symptoms of disease of any type. While the events may be frightening because of their unfamiliarity, they will not harm you.

You'll be fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)